Subject: [Deb-dev] Debian Lenny

From: Arthur Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 19:00:05 +0000

Hi,

Been looking for FOSS cfd programs for a while-looks interesting,
thanks for you work!

I was even happier to find you offer Debs for Lenny. However, I simply
get:

E: Couldn't find package fenics

having followed your instructions. The repository is being hit, and
I've also tried various other names/options but no luck.

Can you enlighten me?

Thanks in advance,

A

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:14:18 +0100

Hi Arthur,

The lenny packages was a bit outdated so I did some updates earlier today.
Please try again now and let me know if there is any trouble.

Johannes

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Arthur Butler
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Been looking for FOSS cfd programs for a while-looks interesting, thanks for
> you work!
>
> I was even happier to find you offer Debs for Lenny. However, I simply get:
>
> having followed your instructions. The repository is being hit, and I've
> also tried various other names/options but no luck.
>
> Can you enlighten me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> A
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Deb-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/deb-dev
>
>

---

From: Arthur Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:46 +0000

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for the reply. I did subscribe, but then accidentally posted from 
a different email account-sorry.

My apt now "sees" fenics, but I get lots of dependency complaints 
(doesn't seem to pull in the required dependencies automatically), e.g. 
apt-get install fenics complains:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  fenics: Depends: dolfin-dev (>= 0.9.3) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: python-pydolfin0 (>= 0.9.3) but it is not going to be 
installed
          Depends: dolfin-doc but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: dolfin-bin but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

I had to include a whole list of dependencies, then eventually get:

apt-get install -f fenics dolfin-dev libdolfin0-dev python-pydolfin0 
dolfin-doc dolfin-bin libsuitesparse-dev libsuitesparse-3.1.0

Reply:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libsuitesparse-dev: Depends: libsuitesparse-3.1.0 (= 3.1.0-3) but 
1:3.1.0-3.1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

Could the requirement on this package be relaxed a little? -then it 
should be installable.

Thanks again for your reply and work on packaging.

A

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:26:33 +0100

> 1:3.1.0-3.1 is to be installed

Where do you get version 3.1.0-3.1 of libsuitesparse-3.1.0 from? The
version in lenny seems to be 3.1.0-3:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libsuitesparse-3.1.0

What is your output from running 'apt-cache policy
libsuitesparse-3.1.0'? I get this

# apt-cache policy libsuitesparse-3.1.0
libsuitesparse-3.1.0:
  Installed: 3.1.0-3
  Candidate: 3.1.0-3
  Version table:
 *** 3.1.0-3 0
        500 http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

> Could the requirement on this package be relaxed a little? -then it

The FEniCS packages does not require any specific version of the
libsuitesparse-3.1.0 package so I can not do that. It seems to be a
conflict between your libsuitesparse-dev and libsuitesparse-3.1.0
package.

Johannes

---

From: Arthur Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 15:28:51 +0000

Hi Johannes,

I'm not sure where the 3.1.0-3.1 came from-no repository/distribution 
listed. I did run testing/occasional unstable packages a few years ago, 
so perhaps it crept in then.

Anyway, I've successfully downgraded it now, with no conflicts reported.

FEniCS installed.

Thanks again,

A