Subject: Re: [Deb-dev] [DOLFIN-dev] Status of Dolfin Packages for Debian

From: "Åsmund Ødegård" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:41:02 +0200

The debian-packages for ffc, fiat and instant are now upgraded. I have
tested the 'demo.py' script from fenics.org, and it works on my
etch-installation.
I guess there are still issues, user-reports are welcome on the deb-dev
maillist!

On 10/23/07, Anders Logg <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> ok, FIAT 0.3.3 and FFC 0.4.3 have been released.
>
> This should pave the way for fixing the Debian packages.
>
> /Anders
>
>
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 09:57:00PM +0200, Anders Logg wrote:
> > For various reasons, fixing the bug in the Debian packages relied on
> > making a new release of FFC which in turn relies on a new release of
> > FIAT.
> >
> > We are mostly in place but need to run some more tests before releasing
> the
> > new versions.
> >
> > /Anders
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 11:06:02AM +0200, Åsmund Ødegård wrote:
> > > There are some incompatibilities between the versions of the different
> > > components of the dolfin project. Right now we are waiting for a new
> release of
> > > FFC, because the demo.py example works with the version in the
> mercurial
> > > repository, but not the released versions. Obviously some unittests
> are
> > > incomplete...
> > >
> > > Anders, is it possible to speed up things on the FFC side?
> > >
> > >
> > > On 10/22/07, Lorenzo Isella <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >
> > >     Dear All,
> > >     I am back on this topic. This is by no means a "reproach" (I also
> > >     understood somebody on this list was becoming a father and
> obviously
> > >     an open source project cannot have a priority here).
> > >     As far as I can tell, nothing has changed in the repositories over
> the
> > >     past few weeks [at least according to my package manager].
> > >     I would like to try my hands at Dolfin via the python interface
> and
> > >     pre-built binaries, but I cannot right now.
> > >     BTW, if I now try running the tutorial
> > >     (http://www.fenics.org/wiki /Tutorial), I get this error (I do not
> know
> > >     if it is very illuminating):
> > >
> > >     ./dolfin.py
> > >     from: can't read /var/mail/dolfin
> > >     ./dolfin.py: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `('
> > >     ./dolfin.py: line 4: `mesh = UnitSquare(32, 32)'
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >     Are there any plans for this?
> > >     Kind Regards
> > >
> > >     Lorenzo
> > >     _______________________________________________
> > >     DOLFIN-dev mailing list
> > >     [email-masked]
> > >     http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dolfin-dev
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > DOLFIN-dev mailing list
> > > [email-masked]
> > > http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dolfin-dev
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > DOLFIN-dev mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dolfin-dev
> _______________________________________________
> DOLFIN-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dolfin-dev
>

-- 
[simula.research laboratory]
                 Åsmund Ødegård
                 IT-Manager
                 phone: +4790069915
                 http://www.simula.no/

---

From: LUK ShunTim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:32:56 +0800

Åsmund Ødegård wrote:
> tested the 'demo.py' script from fenics.org <http://fenics.org>, and it 
> works on my etch-installation.

Hello Asmund,

Thanks very much for your effort.

> I guess there are still issues, user-reports are welcome on the deb-dev 

I try compiling on sid/amd64, python2.4, numpy-1.0.3, swig-1.33.31, 
gcc-4.2, and I got this error

"cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors"

when building pydolfin. The dolfin library itself builds all right. 
Longer message at the end, if it helps.

Regards,
ST
--
Longer message:
"...
Making all in pydolfin
make[3]: Entering directory 
`/home/st/00work/fenics/deb/deb-src/dolfin-build-2.4/src/pydolfin'
/usr/bin/swig -c++ -python -ignoremissing -nodefaultctor -nodefaultdtor 
-dirprot -Werror `pkg-config --cflags ufc-1` -I/usr/include 
-I../../src/kernel/common -I../../src/kernel/elements 
-I../../src/kernel/fem -I../../src/kernel/function 
-I../../src/kernel/graph -I../../src/kernel/io -I../../src/kernel/la 
-I../../src/kernel/main -I../../src/kernel/math -I../../src/kernel/mesh 
-I../../src/kernel/mf -I../../src/kernel/nls -I../../src/kernel/ode 
-I../../src/kernel/pde -I../../src/kernel/quadrature 
-I../../src/kernel/parameter -I../../src/kernel/log 
-I../../src/kernel/plot  -DNDEBUG -o dolfin_wrap.cpp dolfin.i
/usr/bin/make  all-am
make[4]: Entering directory 
`/home/st/00work/fenics/deb/deb-src/dolfin-build-2.4/src/pydolfin'
if /bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile x86_64-linux-gnu-g++ 
-DPACKAGE_NAME=\"DOLFIN\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"dolfin\" 
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"0.7.1\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"DOLFIN\ 0.7.1\" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"http://www.fenics.org/bugzilla/\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 
-DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 
-DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 
-DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 
-DHAVE_BOOST= -DHAVE_SUITESPARSE_UMFPACK_H=1 -I. -I. 
-I/usr/include/python2.4  -I../../src/kernel/common 
-I../../src/kernel/elements -I../../src/kernel/fem 
-I../../src/kernel/function -I../../src/kernel/graph 
-I../../src/kernel/io -I../../src/kernel/la -I../../src/kernel/main 
-I../../src/kernel/math -I../../src/kernel/mesh -I../../src/kernel/mf 
-I../../src/kernel/nls -I../../src/kernel/ode -I../../src/kernel/pde 
-I../../src/kernel/quadrature -I../../src/kernel/parameter 
-I../../src/kernel/log -I../../src/kernel/plot   -I/usr/include 
-I/usr/include/libxml2  -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include       -I../../src/pydolfin 
-I/usr/include/python2.4 
-I/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include  -DNDEBUG -g -O2 
-fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Werror -ansi -Wno-uninitialized -MT 
_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.Tpo" 
-c -o _dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.lo `test -f 'dolfin_wrap.cpp' || echo 
'./'`dolfin_wrap.cpp; \
	then mv -f ".deps/_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.Tpo" 
".deps/_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.Plo"; else rm -f 
".deps/_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
mkdir .libs
  x86_64-linux-gnu-g++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"DOLFIN\" 
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"dolfin\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"0.7.1\" 
"-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"DOLFIN 0.7.1\"" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"http://www.fenics.org/bugzilla/\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 
-DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 
-DHAVE_STRING_H=1 -DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 
-DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 -DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 
-DHAVE_BOOST= -DHAVE_SUITESPARSE_UMFPACK_H=1 -I. -I. 
-I/usr/include/python2.4 -I../../src/kernel/common 
-I../../src/kernel/elements -I../../src/kernel/fem 
-I../../src/kernel/function -I../../src/kernel/graph 
-I../../src/kernel/io -I../../src/kernel/la -I../../src/kernel/main 
-I../../src/kernel/math -I../../src/kernel/mesh -I../../src/kernel/mf 
-I../../src/kernel/nls -I../../src/kernel/ode -I../../src/kernel/pde 
-I../../src/kernel/quadrature -I../../src/kernel/parameter 
-I../../src/kernel/log -I../../src/kernel/plot -I/usr/include 
-I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I../../src/pydolfin 
-I/usr/include/python2.4 
-I/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include -DNDEBUG -g -O2 
-fno-strict-aliasing -Wall -Werror -ansi -Wno-uninitialized -MT 
_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.Tpo 
-c dolfin_wrap.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.o
cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from 
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/ndarrayobject.h:1811,
                  from 
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/arrayobject.h:14,
                  from dolfin_wrap.cpp:3274:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/__multiarray_api.h: 
In function ‘int _import_array()’:
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/__multiarray_api.h:945: 
warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/core/include/numpy/__multiarray_api.h:948: 
warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
make[4]: *** [_dolfin_la-dolfin_wrap.lo] Error 1
..."

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:15:15 +0100

> Longer message at the end, if it helps.

My guess would be that gcc 4.2 has spotted something (in NumPy) that I
don't see here with gcc 4.1.

Either use gcc 4.1 or compile without -Werror.

/Anders

---

From: LUK ShunTim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:17:25 +0800

> Either use gcc 4.1 or compile without -Werror.

Yes, sid is using gcc4.2 as default while etch is still on gcc4.1, I 
guess. This workaround is easily done if you do "configure, make, make 
install" from a tar ball.

For packaging, it might be better to solve it within the packaging 
mechanism so that such FTBFS errors won't crop up.

Regards,
ST
--

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:40:01 +0100

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 01:17:25PM +0800, LUK ShunTim wrote:
> Yes, sid is using gcc4.2 as default while etch is still on gcc4.1, I guess. 
> This workaround is easily done if you do "configure, make, make install" 
> from a tar ball.
>

What do you mean? I thought you were building DOLFIN manually. Or are
you using the package?

/Anders

---

From: LUK ShunTim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:10:51 +0800

> What do you mean? I thought you were building DOLFIN manually. Or are

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear, as this is the deb list. I did the 
usual thing:

sudo apt-get update
apt-get source libdolfin-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep libdolfin-dev

and

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

in the dolfin-0.7.1 directory. I want to test building it for sid/amd64. 
It seems it's almost there but for this little glitch. FTBFS is a bug of 
"serious" category in debian. I tried to contribute a bug report :-) and 
If I know more about autoconf :-(, I'd submit a patch. Of course, you 
may decide not to support sid after all.

Regards,
ST
--

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:42:24 +0100

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 05:10:51PM +0800, LUK ShunTim wrote:
>>>>>> tested the 'demo.py' script from fenics.org <http://fenics.org>, and 
>>>>>> it works on my etch-installation.
>>>>> Hello Asmund,
>>>>>
>>>>>> I guess there are still issues, user-reports are welcome on the 
>>>>>> deb-dev maillist!
>>>>>>
> in the dolfin-0.7.1 directory. I want to test building it for sid/amd64. It 
> seems it's almost there but for this little glitch. FTBFS is a bug of 
> "serious" category in debian. I tried to contribute a bug report :-) and If 
> I know more about autoconf :-(, I'd submit a patch. Of course, you may 
> decide not to support sid after all.

This seems to be a matter of supporting gcc 4.2 which we certainly
need to fix.

/Anders