Subject: [Deb-dev] Problem installing Fenics under Ubuntu

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 04:07:23 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

Following the instructions for installing Fenics
under Ubunty I encountered the problem listed
bellow:

svilen@ITER:~$ sudo apt-get install fenics
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet
 dependencies:
  fenics: Depends: dolfin-dev (>= 0.9.2) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: python-pydolfin0 (>= 0.9.2) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: dolfin-doc but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: dolfin-bin but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
svilen@ITER:~$ sudo apt-get install fenics
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is
 extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  fenics: Depends: dolfin-dev (>= 0.9.2) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: python-pydolfin0 (>= 0.9.2) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: dolfin-doc but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: dolfin-bin but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Any hint and/or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Svilen

---

From: "Johannes Ring" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 09:11:26 +0200

Hi Svilen,

which distribution of Ubuntu are you using? Have you used any FEniCS
packages in Ubuntu before? Maybe some old packages are blocking the
installation.

Try to install the libdolfin0 package:

    sudo apt-get install libdolfin0

If you get an error about unmet dependencies, try to install these
dependencies to see why they fail.

Johannes

On Mon, July 13, 2009 13:07, [email-masked] wrote:
>       _______________________________________________
> Deb-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/deb-dev
>