Subject: [Deb-dev] New releases

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 08:17:58 +0100

The new releases resolve the copyright issue that we had with Debian.

Do we need new release of other components (e.g. instant) to sort out 
the copyright problem  with the documentation?

Garth

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:03:56 +0200

> The new releases resolve the copyright issue that we had with Debian.

Yes. I have repackaged UFC, UFL, and FFC and asked Christophe to
upload them. UFL and FFC was rejected last time and will again enter
the NEW queue. Let's see what the Debian ftpmasters says this time
(could take several weeks).

I will do DOLFIN tomorrow or monday. It should go straight in once it
is uploaded since it is already included in Debian sid. This also goes
for UFC.

> the copyright problem  with the documentation?

No, I don't think that is necessary.

Johannes

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:04:25 +0200

> the copyright problem  with the documentation?

Is there any chance of making it into Karmic Koala or is that too
late? (I would think so.) Is there any kind of deadline for getting
things into the next Ubuntu release (after Karmic)?

--
Anders

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:26:45 +0200

> things into the next Ubuntu release (after Karmic)?

It is too late AFAIK. When Ubuntu starts building a new release they
import packages automatically from Debian until the DebianImportFreeze
(see Karmic release schedule [0]). After that, packages must be added
manually before the FeatureFreeze or the BetaFreeze (not sure).

As long as we get the FEniCS packages into Debian testing before the
next DebianImportFreeze, they will be included automatically. This
should be December 31st according to the Lucid release schedule.

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicReleaseSchedule
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

Johannes

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:38:37 +0200

> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule

ok, but does that mean that the versions of the packages will also be
frozen to how they looked on December 31, or will upgrades to Debian
packages propagate into Ubuntu until some second deadline after
December 31?

--
Anders

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 09:19:00 +0200

> packages propagate into Ubuntu until some second deadline after

No, it will not go in automatically after that. Quoting from DebianImportFreeze:

"After this date, packages will only be imported from Debian in this
way by explicit request from a developer."

I guess that until February 25th (FeatureFreeze) one will be able to
do manually upgrades.

Johannes

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:05:40 +0200

> I guess that until February 25th (FeatureFreeze) one will be able to

ok.

That seems to have some implications on our release schedule. We've
previously set the schedule to April/October so the latest packages
should be available in the latest Ubuntu, but that seems not to work.

Looks like we need to change the schedule so that we make the release
in good time before Ubuntu FeatureFreeze. For Karmic, this was August
27 and for Lucid it will be February 25.

So we could do either early in February/August or in January/July.

Another option could be to make it even earlier: June/December.
That's usually how it seems to work anyway, that we finish things up
before Christmas and Summer. Then we would also be able to make the
release before DebianImportFreeze (but with a tight margin).

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:09:18 +0200

> release before DebianImportFreeze (but with a tight margin).

Any opinions on this?

Should we make a 9.10 release of FEniCS or should we wait and releas
9.12 then 10.06 etc.

--
Anders