Subject: [Dorsal-dev] [Fwd: Re: swiginac and ginac versions]

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:09:59 +0200

Subject: Re: [Dorsal-dev] swiginac and ginac versions
From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
To: Ilmar Wilbers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 18:09:18 +0200

Ilmar Wilbers wrote:
> For Ubuntu Jaunty, the default version for ginac is 1.4. This does not 
> work with swiginac 1.5, which is the version dorsal uses. Which of the 
> two following options is better:
> 1) Let dorsal build ginac (we get new version for both ginac and swiginac)
> 2) Let dorsal build old swiginac (requires two different versions of the 
> package swiginac)

I had already given this some thought. I suggest 1, for now. In time,
when the newer ginac (or petsc or whatever) make it into the
distribution repositories, they get removed from Dorsal.

> Also, how should we treat differences is dependencies between the stable 
> and the unstable packages (as defined in dorsal's configuration file)? 
> For instance, in order to build new dolfin, we need to add the package 
> libboost-program-options-dev. I guess simply adding this to all 
> platforms wouldn't hurt, as having too many packages is less likely to 
> cause a problem than the other way around.

If it doesn't hurt, then add it to all platforms. If it needs something
specific in the DOLFIN configuration (like different flags), check for
the variable STABLE_BUILD. If it's true, configure one way, if it's
false, do something else.

And revert PROCS=1 in dorsal.cfg with your next check-in.

Harish