Subject: [Dorsal-dev] Dorsal problem building ufc: unknown python option: -j

From: Douglas N Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 09:27:02 -0500

Hi Harish:

I am using the latest development version of dorsal to build the unstable
version of FEniCS in Ubuntu jaunty.  Build of ufc failed with:

   Building ufc
   Unknown option: -j
   usage: python [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
   Try `python -h' for more information.
   Failure with exit status: 2
   Exit message: There was a problem building ufc.

What's the cure to this one?

A simple related question.  To speed things up, when I restart dorsal, I 
can remove all the packages above ufc in the package list in 
jaunty.platform, correct?

Finally, in case you are interested, these are the troubles I ran into 
(nothing serious):

To build SLEPc I needed git installed.  "sudo apt-get install git-core"

The build for ginac-1.5.3 failed with "No package 'cln' found".  I added
"cln" to the package list in jaunty.platform

To build cln I needed automake 1.10 installed.  The version of automake
which I had installed (1.9.6 I think) did not work.
"sudo apt-get install automake1.10"

Needed to manually accept a certificate to install mtl4 (unfortunate,
since it means one cannot run  dorsal completely unattended).

Thanks -- Doug

P.S. After this is finished I plan to try building on Fedora 10.  I'll let 
you know if anything interesting comes up.