Subject: [Dorsal-dev] swiginac and ginac versions

From: Ilmar Wilbers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 15:34:25 +0200

For Ubuntu Jaunty, the default version for ginac is 1.4. This does not 
work with swiginac 1.5, which is the version dorsal uses. Which of the 
two following options is better:
1) Let dorsal build ginac (we get new version for both ginac and swiginac)
2) Let dorsal build old swiginac (requires two different versions of the 
package swiginac)

This applies to all platforms making use of the ginac package provided 
by that platform package system, unless the ginac version is >=1.5, 
which probably is not the case for any platform yet.

Also, how should we treat differences is dependencies between the stable 
and the unstable packages (as defined in dorsal's configuration file)? 
For instance, in order to build new dolfin, we need to add the package 
libboost-program-options-dev. I guess simply adding this to all 
platforms wouldn't hurt, as having too many packages is less likely to 
cause a problem than the other way around.

ilmar

---

From: Ilmar Wilbers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 19:00:35 +0200

Harish Narayanan wrote:
> Ilmar Wilbers wrote:
> I had already given this some thought. I suggest 1, for now. In time,
> when the newer ginac (or petsc or whatever) make it into the
> distribution repositories, they get removed from Dorsal.
>   
Changed platform files for Intrepid and Jaunty to build ginac manually 
(was already the case for Hardy). Don't know about other platforms.
> If it doesn't hurt, then add it to all platforms. If it needs something
> specific in the DOLFIN configuration (like different flags), check for
> the variable STABLE_BUILD. If it's true, configure one way, if it's
> false, do something else.
>   
OK, added libboost-program-options-dev to all Ubuntu platform files, 
should probably be done for other packages as well. For instance, Fink 
includes this library in the package boost1.35.nopython. I noticed you 
are using boost1.33 for Leopard, that version has no distinction between 
Python and non-Python libraries, so it is probably included already.
> And revert PROCS=1 in dorsal.cfg with your next check-in.
>
>   
Oops, sorry about that. Also changed back to using stable sources.
> Harish
ilmar

---

From: Joachim Berdal Haga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:19:18 +0200

> Oops, sorry about that. Also changed back to using stable sources.

Just FI: If you're doing development, it may be easier to put these 
customisations in local.cfg which is .hgignore'd.

-j.