Subject: [Dorsal-dev] problem with ginac build on jaunty 64 bit

From: Douglas N Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:33:20 -0500

Dorsal works fine for me under jaunty on a 32 bit machine, but the 
compile of ginac fails on a jaunty 64 bit machine.

libtool: compile:  g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../config 
-I/home/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-da1a73b2dfcb/build/include -g 
-O2 -MT parser.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/parser.Tpo -c parser/parser.cpp 
-fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/parser.o
parser/parser.cpp: In member function ‘GiNaC::ex 
GiNaC::parser::parse_identifier_expr()’:
parser/parser.cpp:69: error: cast from ‘GiNaC::ex (*)(const 
GiNaC::exvector&)’ to ‘unsigned int’ loses precision
make[2]: *** [parser.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory 
`/home/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-da1a73b2dfcb/ginac-1.5.3/ginac'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory 
`/home/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-da1a73b2dfcb/ginac-1.5.3/ginac'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Failure with exit status: 2
Exit message: There was a problem building ginac-1.5.3.

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 08:29:23 +0200

> Exit message: There was a problem building ginac-1.5.3.

This is a known bug when attempting to build ginac on a 64-bit machine
that its developers say will be fixed shortly. For now:

Remove (comment out) the packages: cln, ginac, swiginac, syfi
Skip (add skip: before) the packages: everything before cln

And rerun dorsal.

---

From: Douglas N Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:27:48 -0500

With your suggested fixes I was able to build (thanks!), but execution 
fails with a complaint that the call to MPI.num_processes is wrong:

: abel 541; python demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "demo.py", line 24, in <module>
     V = FunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 1)
   File 
"/home/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-da1a73b2dfcb/build/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dolfin/functionspace.py", 
line 194, in __init__ 

     FunctionSpaceBase.__init__(self, mesh, element) 

   File 
"/home/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-da1a73b2dfcb/build/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dolfin/functionspace.py", 
line 43, in __init__ 

     ufc_element, ufc_dofmap = jit(self._element) 

   File 
"/home/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-da1a73b2dfcb/build/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dolfin/jit.py", 
line 43, in mpi_jit 

     if MPI.num_processes() == 1: 

TypeError: num_processes() takes exactly 1 argument (0 given)

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:53:30 +0200

I think I recognize this as being a bug in SWIG.

You wouldn't happen to have version 1.3.37 installed?

You need to either downgrade to 1.3.36 or upgrade to 1.3.40.

--
Anders

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:27:48AM -0500, Douglas N Arnold wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Dorsal-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dorsal-dev

---

From: Douglas N Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 11:15:14 -0500

Thank you Anders, you nailed it.  I'm not sure why I had Swig 1.3.37 
installed or even where the package came from, but I did "apt-get remove 
swig", "apt-get install swig" and that dropped me back to 1.3.36, after 
which dolfin worked.

Anders Logg wrote:
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>