Subject: [Dorsal-dev] withBoostDir

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:33:18 +0100

I'm using dorsal on RHEL5 and for DOLFIN I have 'withBoostDir=' inside 
dorsal_build. I would expect it to point to the location of Boost. Any 
ideas on how it can be fixed?

Garth

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:36:20 +0200

> ideas on how it can be fixed?

This should work.

I noticed yesterday that with the recent requirement of
-lboost_program_options (or whatever it is called), boost libraries need
to be built (not just downloading the headers). Are you sure you built
boost?

Harish

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:37:45 +0100

> to be built (not just downloading the headers). Are you sure you built

Yes (twice to be sure :)). I've just tried

    export BOOST_DIR=$HOME/Work/FEniCS/build

and DOLFIN is now compiling.

Garth

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:39:12 +0200

Garth N. Wells wrote:
> 
> 
> Harish Narayanan wrote:
>> Garth N. Wells wrote:
>>> I'm using dorsal on RHEL5 and for DOLFIN I have 'withBoostDir='
>>> inside dorsal_build. I would expect it to point to the location of
>>> Boost. Any ideas on how it can be fixed?
>>
>> This should work.
>>

Great. It is strange this wasn't picked up automatically.

Harish

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:40:53 +0100

> Great. It is strange this wasn't picked up automatically.

It's also failing to pick up PETSc, etc. I've built things in pieces by 
commenting out packages in foo.platform. Could that be a problem (i.e. 
not setting all the environment variables)?

Garth

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:42:28 +0200

> not setting all the environment variables)?

Yes, that is the source of the problem. You need to set an environment
variable for most things you comment out. Follow fenics.platform for
pointers.

My next major change to Dorsal is to do this automatically.

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:43:11 +0200

> not setting all the environment variables)?

Yes, the flags will only be set if Dorsal actually builds PETSc before
DOLFIN etc.

Harish and I discussed the possibility of adding a feature to Dorsal
for setting the paths without actually building. It could be something
like replacing "petsc" with

  skip:petsc

in the .platform file.

--
Anders

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:16:23 +0200

> like replacing "petsc" with

This now sort-of works. After a bootstrap run of dorsal, you should be
able to skip packages you don't want to install again.

As Ander's indicated, you replace a package foo with skip:foo in your
.platform file.

The reason I say it 'sort-of' works is that the way things are set up in
the packages now, some packages (like petsc) still attempt to configure
themselves even though they won't be built.

I will clean this up in time.

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:55:51 +0200

> I will clean this up in time.

Nice!

--
Anders

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:32:52 +0200

>> I will clean this up in time.

I have reworked this now. Skipping should behave as advertised, but more
testing is needed.

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:49:51 +0200

> I have reworked this now. Skipping should behave as advertised, but more

Great. I will test it next time I need to rebuild and report any problems.

--
Anders