Subject: [Dorsal-dev] Testing updates

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 16:37:06 +0100

Greetings all,

With a bit of clean up and some additions, Dorsal now cleanly builds
DOLFIN with all its dependencies on three platforms leopard(32),
rhel5(64) and hardy(64). Since I can't screen-shot anything, here is the
best I can do! :)

Found optional package: petsc
Found optional package: slepc
Found optional package: scotch
Found optional package: umfpack
Found optional package: gts
Found optional package: trilinos
Found optional package: cholmod
Found optional package: mtl4
Found optional package: parmetis
Found optional package: gmp
Enabling compilation of PyDOLFIN

I've only fleshed-out the above three platforms because I have immediate
access to them, but I would be appreciative if you could move the
necessary changes over (i.e. add the corresponding new new packages and
variables) to your favourite platform files (in particular gutsy,
intrepid, sid) and test them. I trust there should be no funny business.

No point leaving your machines idle when you're on "holiday," :)
Harish

---

From: Joachim Berdal Haga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:47:47 +0100

Hi,

> intrepid, sid) and test them. I trust there should be no funny business.

I can check intrepid now, sid later. Not gutsy.

These definitions, in platform.hardy:
   GMP_ARCH=x86_64-linux-gnu
   SCOTCH_ARCH=i686_pc_linux2
do not look portable across 32/64 bit. Are they necessary? Can this info be 
found dynamically ($MACHTYPE, gcc -v, whatever)? Not that it matters for 
intrepid, since both libgmp and scotch are packaged there.

> No point leaving your machines idle when you're on "holiday," :)

No danger of that, I'm afraid :-/

... yep, intrepid works now except for mtl4. Something wrong with current svn 
trunk on that one.

-j.

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:15:42 +0100

> I can check intrepid now, sid later. Not gutsy.

Thanks, any help is cool!

> do not look portable across 32/64 bit. Are they necessary? Can this info
> be found dynamically ($MACHTYPE, gcc -v, whatever)?

Not always. I intended to have an IS32 (or IS64) boolean in dorsal.cfg
to choose appropriately but didn't get around to doing so.

Maybe some combination of uname, gcc -v, etc. can do the same things but
it was easier for me to hard code them than to check each possibility.
GMP is a most finicky piece of code. It seems to compile OK but will
fail spectacularly when small things are off.

> Not that it matters
> for intrepid, since both libgmp and scotch are packaged there.

Cool, OK. In this case you need to manually set GMP_DIR and SCOTCH_DIR
otherwise dolfin.package will compile without these two.

> 
> ... yep, intrepid works now except for mtl4. Something wrong with
> current svn trunk on that one.

After this release (whenever this stuff is tested), I'll implement the
newer design that allows for arbitrary selection of stable/unstable
versions of packages to prevent this sort of problem.

Harish

---

From: Joachim Berdal Haga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 09:50:45 +0100

(Johannes, I CC'd you for the question at the bottom)

> otherwise dolfin.package will compile without these two.

Right, I missed that. And PARMETIS_DIR, too. But gmp...
with the packaged libgmp (4.2.2) I got, from dolfin's pkg-config,

Unable to compile a GMP test program.
[...]
gmp_config_test_lib.cpp:14: error: ‘EXIT_SUCCESS’ was not declared in this scope

...so I tried to build also gmp (4.2.4), but the same error. EXIT_SUCCESS does 
not seem to be defined anywhere in gmp sources as far as I can see. Ideas?

-j.

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:13:55 +0100

Joachim Berdal Haga wrote:

> But gmp...
> ...so I tried to build also gmp (4.2.4), but the same error.
> EXIT_SUCCESS does not seem to be defined anywhere in gmp sources as far
> as I can see. Ideas?

I don't remember. I had some troubles with GMP, but I worked through it
ca. 2 weeks ago. I will go back through my reivions and see if something
interesting needed to be done.

Harish

---

From: "Johannes Ring" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:14:49 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, December 22, 2008 09:50, Joachim Berdal Haga wrote:
> gmp_config_test_lib.cpp:14: error: ?EXIT_SUCCESS? was not declared in this
> scope
>

EXIT_SUCCESS is defined in cstdlib (stdlib.h). Try to add

#include <cstdlib>

and see if that works.

Johannes

---

From: Joachim Berdal Haga <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:20:40 +0100

> EXIT_SUCCESS is defined in cstdlib (stdlib.h). Try to add

Yup, that does it. Thanks!

-j.

---

From: "Johannes Ring" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:24:28 +0100 (CET)

> Yup, that does it. Thanks!

Good, I will add it to the pkg-config generator script.

Johannes