Subject: [Dorsal-dev] dorsal for opensuse

From: Shavkat Kholmatov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:13:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi

I am trying to install the Fenics tool. The thing is that I have Opensuse installed on my laptop and all the information and downloads are given for Ubuntu and other packages on the Fenics homepage.

Thus, could you please suggest me if there is any alternative or a way to get all repositories and packages installed for my platform?

Thanks in advance,
Shavkat
With regards,
 Shavkat Kholmatov

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:50:06 +0100

Shavkat Kholmatov wrote:
> 
> Hi
> 
> I am trying to install the Fenics tool. The thing is that I have
> Opensuse installed on my laptop and all the information and downloads
> are given for Ubuntu and other packages on the Fenics homepage.
> 
> Thus, could you please suggest me if there is any alternative or a way
> to get all repositories and packages installed for my platform?

Yes this is possible, but since there are no prebuilt packages for
openSUSE, this will require some manual steps.

1. Fetch and uncompress Dorsal:
http://www.fenics.org/dev/dorsal?ca=tip;type=bz2

2. Take a look at README and see which of the supported platforms are
closest to your openSUSE machine in terms of age. I haven't used it so
would like to know how modern of a distribution it is.

3. Locate the corresponding platform file in the "platforms" folder (the
platform name is provided in the README in parenthesis) and copy it to
opensuse.platform.

4. Try running "./dorsal.sh platforms/opensuse.platform". This will
attempt to fetch and build all the FEniCS projects and their dependencies.

This step will fail, but if you provide the errors you run into, we can
iteratively modify opensuse.platform until it works for your machine
(and anyone else who would like to use an openSUSE machine in the future).

Harish

p.s. Please sign up for this mailing list or your mails will be held for
moderation: http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dorsal-dev