Subject: [Dorsal-dev] Error building dolfin with dorsal for mac os 10.4.X (Tiger)

From: Aron Wahlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:21:29 +0100

> I got the tip from Harish to try with other versions of libtool to  
> be able to build dolfin.

After listing avalible libtool version with 'fink list libtool', I  
tried installing, e.g.: 'fink install libtool2'

But how do I point to the right glibtool version?  'sudo ln -sf /sw/ 
bin/libtoolize /xxx/yyy/glibtolize'?

And which one is the new installed one to point at (xxx/yyy = ?)?  
'locate libtool' gives me many files...

bash-3.2$ locate libtool
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/glibtool
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_1.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_10.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_11.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_12.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_13.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_14.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_15.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_16.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_17.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_18.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_2.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_3.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_4.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_5.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_6.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_7.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_8.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_9.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_abt.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_fot.html
/Developer/ADC Reference Library/documentation/DeveloperTools/ 
glibtool/libtool_toc.html
/Developer/usr/bin/glibtool
/Developer/usr/bin/glibtoolize
/Developer/usr/bin/libtool
/Developer/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool
/Developer/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool
/Developer/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
/Developer/usr/share/man/man1/glibtool.1
/Developer/usr/share/man/man1/libtool.1
/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/bin/petsc_libtool
/sw/bin/glibtool
/sw/bin/glibtoolize
/sw/bin/libtoolize
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/binary-darwin-i386/devel/libtool- 
shlibs_1.3.5-24_darwin-i386.deb
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/binary-darwin-i386/devel/ 
libtool_1.3.5-24_darwin-i386.deb
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool.info
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool.patch
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool14.info
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool14.patch
/sw/fink/10.4/stable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool2.info
/sw/fink/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool14.info
/sw/fink/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool14.patch
/sw/fink/10.4/unstable/main/finkinfo/devel/libtool2.info
/sw/fink/debs/libtool-shlibs_1.3.5-24_darwin-i386.deb
/sw/fink/debs/libtool_1.3.5-24_darwin-i386.deb
/sw/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
/sw/share/doc/gettext/examples/hello-c++-kde/admin/libtool.m4.in
/sw/share/doc/libtool
/sw/share/doc/libtool/AUTHORS
/sw/share/doc/libtool/COPYING
/sw/share/doc/libtool/COPYING.LIB
/sw/share/doc/libtool/NEWS
/sw/share/doc/libtool/README
/sw/share/doc/libtool/README.libltdl
/sw/share/doc/libtool/THANKS
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/AUTHORS
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/COPYING
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/COPYING.LIB
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/NEWS
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/README
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/README.libltdl
/sw/share/doc/libtool-shlibs/THANKS
/sw/share/info/libtool.info
/sw/share/info/libtool.info-1
/sw/share/info/libtool.info-2
/sw/share/info/libtool.info-3
/sw/share/info/libtool.info-4
/sw/share/libtool
/sw/share/libtool/config.guess
/sw/share/libtool/config.sub
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/COPYING.LIB
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/Makefile.am
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/Makefile.in
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/README
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/acconfig.h
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/acinclude.m4
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/aclocal.m4
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/config.h.in
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/configure
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/configure.in
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.c
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/ltdl.h
/sw/share/libtool/libltdl/stamp-h.in
/sw/share/libtool/ltconfig
/sw/share/libtool/ltmain.sh
/sw/src/libtool-1.3.5.tar.gz
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/libtool-shlibs.list
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/libtool-shlibs.shlibs
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/libtool.list
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/libtool.postinst
/sw/var/lib/dpkg/info/libtool.prerm
/usr/bin/glibtool
/usr/bin/glibtoolize
/usr/bin/libtool
/usr/lib/php/build/libtool.m4
/usr/libexec/gcc/i686-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool
/usr/libexec/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.1/libtool
/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/scripts/context/ruby/rslibtool.rb
/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/libtool.am
/usr/share/man/man1/glibtool.1
/usr/share/man/man1/libtool.1

For the second option; pointing libtool and libtoolize towards their  
glibtool versions in /usr/bin nothing seems to happen:

after  'sudo ln -sf /sw/bin/libtoolize /sw/bin/glibtoolize' and   
'sudo ln -sf /usr/bin/libtool /usr/bin/glibtool' nothing seem to  
happen. I still have

bash-3.2$ ls -l /sw/bin/libtool
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  16 Feb 20 18:40 /sw/bin/libtool -> /sw/ 
bin/glibtool

strange?
At least the same error remains.

Aron

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 10:33:01 +0100

> bin/libtoolize /xxx/yyy/glibtolize'?

Do either /some/where/libtool --version or /some/where/libtool -v to
figure out which (g)libtool(ize) versions you have to work with. Do this
for the libtools in /usr/bin and /sw/bin .

So now that you have a list of installed versions, point your shortcut
to each of them in turn (should be 2 or 3 combinations in total), and if
we're lucky one of them will solve your problem.

There is another thread on the DOLFIN mailing list from somebody else
using Tiger who ran into a different set of problems (and solved them).
Perhaps he can give you some tips as to what he did.

http://www.fenics.org/pipermail/dolfin-dev/2009-March/012446.html

Harish