Subject: [Dorsal-dev] dolfin on Fedora 10

From: Douglas Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:57:34 -0500

I just downloaded dorsal-855ad97a6fea and did a fresh install of dolfin 
on a Fedora 10 machine.  The build completed without a hitch (nice!), 
but dolfin didn't work:

: vinh512 1001; source 
~/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-855ad97a6fea-stable/dolfin-0.9.3/dolfin.conf
: vinh512 1002; cd 
~/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-855ad97a6fea-stable/dolfin-0.9.3/demo/pde/poisson/python/
: vinh512 1003; ls
demo.py
: vinh512 1004; python demo.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "demo.py", line 20, in <module>
     from dolfin import *
   File 
"/home/faculty/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-855ad97a6fea-stable/build/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dolfin/__init__.py", 
line 11, in <module>
     import cpp
   File 
"/home/faculty/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-855ad97a6fea-stable/build/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dolfin/cpp.py", 
line 31, in <module>
     import _cpp
ImportError: 
/home/faculty/arnold/workshop/FEniCS-from-dorsal-855ad97a6fea-stable/build/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dolfin/_cpp.so: 
undefined symbol: _ZN6dolfin3ODE1fEPK10__gmp_exprIA1_12__mpf_structS3_ES4_j
: vinh512 1005;

Is there an easy solution?  Explanation?

Thanks -- Doug

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 07:08:43 +0200

> Is there an easy solution?  Explanation?

Perhaps. This might be a GMP linking error.

1. Remove the variable GMP_DIR from the platform file.

2. Add skip: before every other package besides dolfin and rerun dorsal.
i.e.

skip:parmetis
skip:petsc
skip:slepc
.
.
.
dolfin

Harish

---

From: Kent Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:42:24 +0200

> Is there an easy solution?  Explanation?

Did you have the old installation sourced in e.g. you .bashrc file when
you ran dorsal.sh ? 

Kent

---

From: Douglas N Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 01:52:15 -0500

Thanks.  This did the trick.

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:53:43 +0200

Great! I've changed Dorsal to reflect this.

I've stopped relying on Fedora's GMP RPM (gmp-devel) and instead
instruct dorsal to build it from source. This might circumvent your
error in the future.

Harish

Douglas N Arnold wrote:
>>> I just downloaded dorsal-855ad97a6fea and did a fresh install of
>>> dolfin on a Fedora 10 machine.  The build completed without a hitch
>>> (nice!), but dolfin didn't work:
>>>
>>> : vinh512 1001; source
>>> undefined symbol:
>>> _ZN6dolfin3ODE1fEPK10__gmp_exprIA1_12__mpf_structS3_ES4_j
>>> : vinh512 1005;
>>>
>>>