Subject: [Dorsal-dev] Dorsal, MPI - installing FEniCS on Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger)

From: Aron Wahlberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 21:36:50 +0100

Hi,

I have a problem installing FEniCS on my Mac runnig Tiger. I've  
followed the instructions but still get an error that I think is  
related to MPI. Below is the message from the terminal window after  
running ./dorsal.sh. Do I need to install something more to get MPI  
working? I thought it was pre-installed in mac OS Tiger, am I right?

I have also tried to get any information from the configure.log as  
recommended, but didn't manage to see through it. I have attached it  
below as well.

The .log file tells me to specify a path for MPI. I've tried but  
didn't get it right. I'm not sure what path to use but found  
something interesting in /sw/include/openmpi/ompi/mpi if that may  
help any kind helper...
I'm quite new to this terminal thing but this is what I've tried. How  
should I write?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
---------------------------------------------
aron-wahlbergs-dator:/sw/include aronwahlberg$ --with-mpi-dir=</sw/ 
include/openmpi>
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
aron-wahlbergs-dator:/sw/include aronwahlberg$ --with-mpi-dir=/sw/ 
include/openmpi
-bash: --with-mpi-dir=/sw/include/openmpi: No such file or directory
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
--------------------------------------------

Grateful for any help!
Aron

#######Exerpt from terminal running ./dorsal.sh##################
...
...
Building stable point-releases of FEniCS projects.
OK? Press enter to continue build, or ctrl-c to quit.

Fetching petsc-2.3.3-p15
Unpacking petsc-2.3.3-p15
Building petsc-2.3.3-p15
======================================================================== 
=========
              Configuring PETSc to compile on your system
======================================================================== 
=========
======================================================================== 
=========                                                  WARNING!  
Compiling PETSc with no debugging, this  
should                                                                   
only be done for timing and production runs. All development  
should                                                be done when  
configured using --with- 
debugging=1                                              
======================================================================== 
=========                                  TESTING: configureMPIEXEC  
from config.packages.MPI(python/BuildSystem/config/packages/MPI.py: 
133)                   
************************************************************************ 
*********
          UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see  
configure.log for details):
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
---------------
Could not locate MPIEXEC - please specify --with-mpiexec option
************************************************************************ 
*********

Failure with exit status: 1
Exit message: There was a problem in build setup for petsc-2.3.3-p15.
#################################################################

##########Exerpt from configure.log###############

               Popping language Cxx
************************************************************************ 
*********
          UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see  
configure.log for details):
------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
---------------
You must specify a path for MPI with --with-mpi-dir=<directory>
If you do not want MPI, then give --with-mpi
************************************************************************ 
*********
   File "./config/configure.py", line 222, in petsc_configure
     framework.configure(out = sys.stdout)
   File "/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/python/ 
BuildSystem/config/framework.py", line 878, in configure
     child.configure()
   File "/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/python/ 
BuildSystem/config/package.py", line 380, in configure
     self.executeTest(self.configureLibrary)
   File "/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/python/ 
BuildSystem/config/base.py", line 93, in executeTest
     return apply(test, args,kargs)
   File "/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/python/ 
BuildSystem/config/packages/MPI.py", line 546, in configureLibrary
     config.package.Package.configureLibrary(self)
   File "/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/python/ 
BuildSystem/config/package.py", line 331, in configureLibrary
     for location, directory, lib, incl in self.generateGuesses():
   File "/Users/aronwahlberg/Work/FEniCS/petsc-2.3.3-p15/python/ 
BuildSystem/config/package.py", line 207, in generateGuesses
     raise RuntimeError('You must specify a path for '+self.name+'  
with --with-'+self.package+'-dir=<directory>\nIf you do not want  
'+self.name+', then give --with-'+self.package)

##############################################################