Subject: [Fenics-apps] Initial thoughts

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:31:46 +0200

Hello all (the currently 6 people on this list!),

I think this is a great idea and have a some thoughts I'd like to throw out.

Since (from the two example apps suggested) it appears as though
implementing specific material models (specifically, plasticity and
grade-two fluid models) is a major aspect of the applications, would it
make sense to have some sort of project tree that looks like so?

* mechanics
 - fluids
   . newtonian
   . non-newtonian
 - solids
   . elastic
   . plastic etc.
* other physics ...(electromagnetics, etc.)
* coupling

I think it would help systematise naming and make clearer the overlap
between similar efforts.

In any event, I'm interested in working on a finite deformation
nonlinear (visco)elastic model, and I expect that it will eventually
fall under the FEniCS Apps umbrella, no matter what its form.

Happy hacking,
Harish

---

From: "Evan Lezar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:01:33 +0200

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Harish Narayanan
<[email-masked]>wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Fenics-apps mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/fenics-apps
>

Hi

I'm currently working on some electromagnetic examples, but it is still
early days.  Will definitely get going in the next week or two.

Evan

---

From: "Andy Ray Terrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:27:21 +0200

> I think it would help systematise naming and make clearer the overlap

I would like to keep things as general as possible, so if someone has
some application that is not about a material model that would be
fine.  I think the application tree you provide might be something to
add to a wiki page or if we have enough application projects put into
a repository tree, but it would probably be best to wait until a tree
is needed.

I am also hesitant to define any sort of naming systemization.  It
seems every project I have ever worked on that had a very specific
name moved away from it at some point.  Names are important but I want
to be flexible to encourage people to contribute.  The wiki will be a
place to expound on the names.

> fall under the FEniCS Apps umbrella, no matter what its form.

Very nice.  I look forward to putting the project up.

-- Andy

---

From: "Andy Ray Terrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 16:27:57 +0200

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Evan Lezar <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>>

Very cool.