Subject: [Fenics-apps] Uploading movies to FEniCS wiki

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:58:51 +0200

Hi,

I was trying to upload a movie to the FEniCS wiki page, but I got the message
that the size of the file was too big (file is 7+ Mb). What are the limitations
and what should the format be?

I worked around it by putting the file in:

[email-masked]:/var/www/www.fenics.org/pub/software/fenics-apps/fenics-plasticity/fenics-plasticity-beam.avi

and linking to it from the page:

http://www.fenics.org/wiki/FEniCS_Plasticity

where the result can be seen.

Now, for future reference what should the procedure be?

Kristian

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:54:07 +0200

> Now, for future reference what should the procedure be?

There is a limit on how large a file the server's PHP installation will
allow uploaded (can be changed by something like upload_max_filesize in
php.ini) and on top of that, MediaWiki imposes an artificial limit on
the size of files uploaded ($wgUploadSizeWarning, $wgMaxUploadSize in
LocalSettings.php).

I see two possible approaches for the future:

1. Have someone with write access to the server change these variables
to be large enough. (Also, someone with read access to those settings
files can tell you what the limits currently are.)
2. Have people upload movies to their own servers and just link to them
from the Wiki.

Harish