Subject: [FEniCS-dev] Web page

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:28:38 +0100

I have experimented with the web page:

    http://www.fenics.org/

I wanted to add visible links to the wiki, the repositories and
bugzilla, but I'm not perfectly happy with the way it turned out (it
looks ugly).

Any suggestions or opinions? For example, do we want to keep the
orange theme for the buttons and links? (It looks a little pale.)

/Anders

---

From: Andy Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:27:33 -0500

Hey Anders,

So I like the general look and feel for the page, but I think right now 
it has a lot of info and is probably hard for a new person to discern 
which information is important to read.  For example the news banner 
takes up about 1/3 of the page, it's important for users but they are 
probably getting that info through a mailing list already.

Some suggestions I would make are to either 1) move to a three column 
page with the middle being the largest (such as http://www.scipy.org/) 
or 2) combine all the links and make them drop down (for example have a 
link docs which has (about, contact, wiki, and gallery))  then you could 
have more room for links on the main link bar.

Thanks,
Andy

Anders Logg wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> FEniCS-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/fenics-dev
>   

-- 

====================
Andy Terrel
Computer Science Dept
University of Chicago
[email-masked]
---------------------

Flying is simple. 
You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.
              -Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

---

From: "Johan Jansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:10:20 +0100 (MET)

>> orange theme for the buttons and links? (It looks a little pale.)

The links on the left seem redundant. Why not put all of them at the top
and make them a bit smaller? Or combine them into drop-down menus like
Andy is suggesting.

Another suggestion is to do the whole site as a Wiki (like the SciPy
site). Then you lower the threshold for people to participate in adding
things.

  Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:33:15 +0100

> site). Then you lower the threshold for people to participate in adding

Yes, why not.

Moinmoin or MediaWiki?

Do we have any other examples than the SciPy site to look at?

Does anyone of them have a system for adding/archiving news? We
currently use nanoblogger for this (it generates a static .html file
that we just #include on the front page).

/Anders

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:34:55 +0100

> site). Then you lower the threshold for people to participate in adding

I like the look of the SciPy site, and the easier it is to add things the better.

Garth

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:55:41 +0100

> I like the look of the SciPy site, and the easier it is to add things the better.

ok, let's get started immediately...

Unless there is a strong preference for MoinMoin over MediaWiki, 
we can just start editing our existing Wiki at

    http://www.fenics.org/wiki/

Once we're happy, we can just map the address over to the main
page http://www.fenics.org/.

/Anders

---

From: "Johan Jansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:23:16 +0100 (MET)

> page http://www.fenics.org/.

Could we enable file uploads for the Wiki? Also, related to that, perhaps
it might be a good idea to create two classes of users, class 1
(authorized) which has the ability to edit everywhere (and upload files
etc.), and which needs specific authorization, and class 2 (default, i.e.
everyone) which has the ability to edit only some pages.

  Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:34:41 +0100

> everyone) which has the ability to edit only some pages.

I have enabled file upload. I'm not familiar with how to do
authorizations at different levels with MediWiki so we need to figure
that out.

/Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:45:41 +0100

> authorizations at different levels with MediWiki so we need to figure

ok, so I figured this out. We can have a group of users (which will be
the project owners on fenics.org) that are members of the group "sysop".

When you have picked a login name, tell me and I will press the
button(s).

/Anders

---

From: "Theodore Omtzigt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:16:53 -0700

You might want to think about the additional role of editor.

Editor		layout, editorial consistency and scrutiny
Sysop			as a firewall to security issues
User			community contributor

Wiki content has a tendency to meander and only an editor would be given the
role to bend it into something that is useful for the community. There is a
reason why all professional publication organizations are organized around
editors: it is the most efficient way to control the output of disjointed
writers.

Theo

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Anders Logg
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 9:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [FEniCS-dev] Web page

/Anders