Subject: [FEniCS-dev] Debian packages

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 19:27:03 +0200

A summer intern at Simula will be working to provide Debian packages
of all the FEniCS packages. The plan is to set up a repository at say

    http://www.fenics.org/deb/

And so, by adding an appropriate entry to /etc/apt/sources.list, one
can just

    apt-get install fenics

We would like to get some opinions (in detail) on how to configure the
packages, which packages we need and so on. Here's a rough sketch with
many details missing:

    http://www.fenics.org/wiki/Debian_packages

Take a look and help to fill out the requirements for the packages.

/Anders

---

From: Mandus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:04:55 +0200

> A summer intern at Simula will be working to provide Debian packages
[snip]
>     http://www.fenics.org/wiki/Debian_packages

Regarding mpi I think you should really just depend on the mpi's that
are already in the ubuntu/debian repositories. If you need mpi-2,
openmpi is already in ubuntu/feisty, and should be mpi-2 compliant
according to the web.

-- 
Mandus
Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 08:42:31 +0200

> openmpi is already in ubuntu/feisty, and should be mpi-2 compliant

I wouldn't bother with MPI and PETSc for the package (at least for now).

libumfpack4 and libumfpack4-dev should be added to the DOLFIN dependencies.

Garth

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 09:52:02 +0200

> I wouldn't bother with MPI and PETSc for the package (at least for now).

Sounds reasonable.

> libumfpack4 and libumfpack4-dev should be added to the DOLFIN dependencies.

Feel free to edit the wiki.

/Anders