Subject: [FEniCS-users] IPython and viper interactive()

From: Douglas Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:48:13 -0600

The enhanced interactive Python shell, IPython, has lots of very 
helpful features, and seems very useful for working with dolfin. 
However, I am having intermittent troubles when using the
viper interactive() command, as in

  plot(u), interactive()

This works (gives an interactive plot), but when I type "q" to end the 
interactivity, sometimes my IPython shell returns with the next prompt, 
as I believe it should, and sometimes it unceremoniously exists and I 
have lost all my work.   I have not been able to discern the pattern 
for when this happens.

Does anyone know what is going on or have any suggestions?

Thanks -- Doug

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:37:04 +0100

> Does anyone know what is going on or have any suggestions?

I've seen this many times myself, and I also can't tell when exactly
it happens. I've filed a bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fenics-viper/+bug/484064

Hopefully Ola knows how to fix it.

I don't know what you are plotting, but note that when you are
plotting from Python, you can just call plot(u) on a solution multiple
times and the plot window will be updated continuously. Then insert a
call to interactive() just at the end.

--
Anders

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:07:04 +0100

> Hopefully Ola knows how to fix it.

Hi,

I have been aware of this behaviour for quite some time, and I wish
there was anything I could do to fix it. However, as the problem is
related to the Python-bindings of VTK, and I'm not involved in this, I
really don't know how to solve it. If I remember correctly, you need
to press 'q' in the correct window, which I think is the last one that
was opened (I might remember wrong here, so it could be the first
window opened as well).

I will approach the problem once more and see if there is anything I
have overlooked previously.

Ola

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAksCYLAACgkQTuwUCDsYZdH2vwCfbY8GQ87urma8xUwaSZHPBJPu
> 4eMAniuPWUvLikWW4JHCO+bqGRJic8am
> =z+05
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> _______________________________________________
> FEniCS-users mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/fenics-users
>
>

-- 
Ola Skavhaug