Subject: [FFC-dev] cvs --> hg

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:27:44 -0600

Hi everyone,

I've just started to experiment with moving FFC from CVS to Mercurial,
also known as hg.

If the experiment goes well, we might consider Mercurial for our other
repositories as well.

If you want to try it out, here are a few starting points:

 - Getting a copy of the latest hg repository for FFC:

   hg clone http://www.fenics.org/hg/ffc

 - Browsing the hg repository online:

   http://www.fenics.org/hg/

 - CVS counterparts:

   hg add file
   hg remove file
   hg commit        (only commits to your local repository)
   hg update -m

Note that all trees (repositories) are equal with hg. When you clone a
tree, you get a full copy of it, not just the latest version like with
a cvs checkout. Everyone can keep their own tree or trees and there is
nothing special about the tree on fenics.org, other than that it is
the one we consider to be official.

As of now, I'm the only one allowed to push to the official FFC tree.
Everyone else email me a changeset or ask me to pull the changes
from your tree.

More about Mercurial is available at

    http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/
    http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/QuickStart

/Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:52:59 -0600

I forgot to tell you how to install Mercurial. For all lucky Debian or
Ubuntu users, just

    apt-get install mercurial

and you should be ready to go.

Otherwise, check

    http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/BinaryPackages

or

    http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/Download

/Anders

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 09:27:44PM -0600, Anders Logg wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> FFC-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.fenics.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ffc-dev
> 

-- 
Anders Logg
Research Assistant Professor
Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
http://www.tti-c.org/logg/

---

From: Matthew Knepley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:56:09 -0600

Anders Logg <[email-masked]> writes:

       Amazing. I just downloaded mercurial yesterday and started
experimenting. Have you been intercepting my dreams again? I like
that its a pure Python implementation and the design seems right,
however it is missing some features. Hopefully development is rapid.

        Matt

-- 
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec Guiness

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:54:54 -0600

The force is strong, it can't be a coincidence... :-)

I also like that it's all Python, it's pretty fast and the
(command-line) user interface is pretty nice and simple.

Since I have mostly used cvs before, I haven't noticed any missing
features but I'm sure some things are not there yet.

/Anders