Subject: [FFC-dev] Patch for optimizer.py

From: Andy Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:13:30 -0600

Hello,

Here is a patch for optimize.py.  So the code generated for me using the 
--optimize flag was three times as long and ran twice as slow.  I 
thought it was in part because of all the 0.0 values in the generated 
code.  This patch updates ffc so it doesn't generate all the tmp = 0.0 
lines.

Alas it really didn't fix my runtime problem.  I would be interested to 
know if people have gotten any speed up with this flag or not.

Thanks,
Andy

-- 

====================
Andy Terrel
Computer Science Dept
University of Chicago
[email-masked]
---------------------

Men are equal; 
it is not birth but virtue that makes the difference.
                                            -Voltaire

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:11:03 +0100

> know if people have gotten any speed up with this flag or not.

What this flag does is that it calls FErari to compute an optimized
code and yes, it does give a speedup (for a range of forms). Rob and I
have just finished benchmarking a series of test cases and the maximum
speedup we get is a factor 3.29 for the local tensor and 1.47 for the
global assembly.

/Anders