Subject: [FIAT-dev] Re: [FFC-dev] Restructure computation of reference tensor to use less memory. [...]

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:55:22 -0600

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:04:06AM -0600, Anders Logg wrote:

> > Seems like Numarray is also going to cease in favour of SciPy.
> 
> Yes, see http://numeric.scipy.org/.
> 
> It looks like the array interface is already included in the SciPy
> package that I have installed on my machine (Debian packages
> python2.4-scipy 0.3.2-8 and python2.4-scipy-core 0.3.2-4).
> 
> Perhaps I will try to update the next release of FFC (which might be
> 0.3.0) to use SciPy instead of Numeric. Any objections to this?

It's probably good if a switch to SciPy is coordinated with a similar
move in FIAT, or otherwise there would still be dependencies to
Numeric (and LinearAlgebra).

Rob, would it be much work to switch FIAT to SciPy from Numeric and
LinearAlgebra?

/Anders

---

From: "Robert C. Kirby" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 09:55:54 -0600

I don't know if it would be -- presumably the API is similar?

On Dec 6, 2005, at 9:55 AM, Anders Logg wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> FIAT-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.fenics.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/fiat-dev

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:00:58 -0600

Yes, it's very similar.

There is a module in scipy that does search and replace and does an
automatic upgrade (module convertcode) but I haven't tried it.

Perhaps the switch would require very little work. When I have time,
I'll try to make the switch.

/Anders

-- 
Anders Logg
Research Assistant Professor
Toyota Technological Institute at Chicago
http://www.tti-c.org/logg/

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:42:20 -0600

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 10:02:35AM -0600, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> Anders Logg <[email-masked]> writes:

>   Actually, I think this would be a waste of time. At the last SciPy conference,
> Travis announced he was submitting a PEP to try and get Numeric 3.0 directly
> into the core. I think this is likely. Also, it is a separate package from
> SciPy, which is quite large.
> 
>        Matt

Good to know. So the suggestion is to stick to Numeric until it
becomes part of the Python core, or until the PEP is rejected in which
case we switch to SciPy?

/Anders