Subject: [FEniCS-dev] Problems with dolfin installation

From: "Saeed Kamal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 16:15:44 +0100 (CET)

Dear all,

I was trying to install dolfin on Cygwin and I have the following problems:

- for dolfin-0.6.4, the following commands worked well:

$ ./configure --enable-petsc --with-petsc-dir=/petsc-2.3.2-p6
--disable-curses --disable-mpi --disable-pydolfin
$ make
$ make install

but I got this error when I make poisson demo

`pkg-config --variable=compiler dolfin` `pkg-config --cflags dolfin` -c
main.cpp
/bin/sh: pkg-config: command not found
/bin/sh: pkg-config: command not found
/bin/sh: -c: command not found
make: *** [main.o] Error 127

and I did not find pkg-config any where!!

- for dolfin-0.6.3, --disable-curses had no effect on the configuration
and it failed because of that.

- for dolfin-0.6.2, has problem finding boost, but this was no problem for
dolfin-0.6.3 and dolfin-0.6.4.

Can you please check if any thing can be fixed regarding dolfin-0.6.4?

Best Regards,
Saeed Kamal

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:25:56 +0100

pkg-config should available as a package for your distribution. Under 
Debian/Ubuntu, the package is simply called "pkg-config"

Garth

Saeed Kamal wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> FEniCS-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/fenics-dev
> 

=

---

From: "Saeed Kamal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 17:44:42 +0100 (CET)

thnx for the fast reply

Then why should I add dolfin executable path? and why dolfin doesn't check
for this package? I will try to get it anyway!

By the way, last time I used dolfin was 5.12 version, in which
dolfin-config is used and placed in bin directory!

I installed cygwin on windows, and I hope it will work!!

thnx again

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:23:31 +0100

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 05:44:42PM +0100, Saeed Kamal wrote:
> thnx for the fast reply
> 
> Then why should I add dolfin executable path?

The two scripts dolfin-convert (convert meshes from other formats) and
dolfin-swig (used by PyDOLFIN) need to be in the executable path if
the path is non-standard.

If you don't convert meshes and only use the C++ interface, then this
is not needed.

> and why dolfin doesn't check

Maybe we should add a test for pkg-config, but strictly speaking it's
not necessary for compiling and installing DOLFIN. It's only needed to
build things against DOLFIN if you don't want to manually specify the
compiler flags.

> dolfin-config is used and placed in bin directory!

That's a long time ago and we only recently replaced dolfin-config
with pkg-config + a generated file dolfin.pc.

/Anders