Subject: [Fenics] Mail from launchpad

From: Joachim Berdal Haga <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:31:15 +0200

The mail from launchpad on behalf of the fenics projects (dolfin etc) is
hard to filter/sort effectively, since questions, bugs, blueprints etc all
have different headers.

I suggest that the teams' contact addresses be set to their associated
lists (dolfin team -> dolfin-dev, etc) so that all mail from launchpad goes
through the lists instead of directly to the members. This will make
filtering much easier.

Does this sound reasonable?

-j.

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:52:57 +0200

B1;3201;0cOn Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 09:31:15AM +0200, Joachim Berdal Haga wrote:
>    The mail from launchpad on behalf of the fenics projects (dolfin etc)
>    is hard to filter/sort effectively, since questions, bugs, blueprints
>    etc all have different headers.
>
>    lists (dolfin team -> dolfin-dev, etc) so that all mail from launchpad
>    goes through the lists instead of directly to the members. This will
>    make filtering much easier.
>

Wouldn't the drawback be that you might not get the email if you are
part of the team but forgot to subscribe to the list? (Or is that not
possible?)

Filtering works nicely for me, but I've added quite a few filters to catch them all:

Matches: from:(launchpad.net)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "fenics"
Matches: to:(launchpad.net)
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "fenics"
Matches: [email-masked]
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "fenics"
Matches: code.launchpad.net
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "fenics"
Matches: subject:([Bug*])
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "fenics"

--
Anders

---

From: Martin Sandve Alnæs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:22:34 +0200

That's because you don't differentiate between lists. Bugs and answers
don't contain enough information to differentiate between e.g. dolfin and
ufl.

Martin
Den 27. juni 2012 13:14 skrev "Anders Logg" <[email-masked]> følgende:

> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:41:25 +0200

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Martin Sandve Alnæs <[email-masked]> wrote:
> That's because you don't differentiate between lists. Bugs and answers don't
> contain enough information to differentiate between e.g. dolfin and ufl.

I use this filter (in Gmail) for DOLFIN (and similar for the other projects):

Matches: (launchpad.net ("affects dolfin" | "subscribed to dolfin" |
"registrant for dolfin" | "subscribed to branch lp:dolfin" |
"blueprints.launchpad.net/dolfin" | "your team dolfin core team" |
"answer contact for DOLFIN"))
Do this: Apply label "DOLFIN"

Johannes

---

From: Joachim Berdal Haga <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:39:36 +0200

That's one impressive filter! :) I may steal it if the proposal isn't
accepted.

It also nicely illustrates that it would be much easier to filter if all
mail was sent to the appropriate lists.

-j.

On 27 June 2012 13:41, Johannes Ring <[email-masked]> wrote:

> don't

---

From: Martin Sandve Alnæs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:44:23 +0100

> Do this: Apply label "DOLFIN"

I stand corrected :)

Martin

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:47:01 +0100

> mail was sent to the appropriate lists.

I don't think that it's good to send all mail to the lists. A feature
of the move to Launchpad has been that the mailing lists are not
jammed with all sorts of messages (changeset messages, questions, bug
reports, . . . ) which then get lost. The mailing lists are for
discussion and announcements.

Garth

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:54:28 +0200

> discussion and announcements.

Agree.

Johan

---

From: Florian Rathgeber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 08:30:29 +0100

On 27/06/12 13:44, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
>>> That's because you don't differentiate between lists. Bugs and
>>> answers don't contain enough information to differentiate
>>> between e.g. dolfin and ufl.
>> 
>> Matches: (launchpad.net ("affects dolfin" | "subscribed to
>> dolfin" | "registrant for dolfin" | "subscribed to branch
>> lp:dolfin" | "blueprints.launchpad.net/dolfin" | "your team
>> dolfin core team" | "answer contact for DOLFIN")) Do this: Apply
>> label "DOLFIN"
>> 
>> Johannes
> 
> I stand corrected :)

The core of the problem is that GMail doesn't allow filtering on
X-headers. Launchpad encodes very specific information in the
X-Lauchpad-* headers that would be ideal for arbitrarily fine grained
filtering if only they were "seen" by GMail.

I'm using the following filter for DOLFIN (similar for other projects):

Matches:
(to:([email-masked])|("(answers|bugs|blueprints).launchpad.net/dolfin"))
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "Dev/FEniCS/Dolfin"

Florian

> Martin
> 
> _______________________________________________ Mailing list:
> https://launchpad.net/~fenics Post to     :
> [email-masked] Unsubscribe :
> https://launchpad.net/~fenics More help   :
> https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>