Subject: [Fenics] Logo!

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 14:43:15 +0200

Dear all,

I have contacted a designer, Mathias Schläger from SCH! Form, to
create a new logo for FEniCS, to be used as the main FEniCS logo on
the web page, in presentations, etc.

We met today to review some design sketches. He had quite a few good
designs. Here are the top three:

http://fenicsproject.org/tmp/fenics-logo-sketch-2011-05-26.png

I think all three are very good! The plan is now to choose one of
these three and then go ahead and finalize the design.

Please let me know what you think. I hope we can have a decision by
Monday and then it will take another two weeks to get the final
design.

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:04:37 +0200

I also think number 2 is very good, but it's also the most "obvious"
one (a flaming bird). I think I like number 1 best, but by a very
small margin. I would not object to any of the three options.

--
Anders

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 02:59:48PM +0200, Johan Hoffman wrote:
> I vote for no 2. /J
> > _______________________________________________
> > Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> > Post to     : [email-masked]
> > Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> > More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
> >
>
>

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 14:08:45 +0100

No. 1 for me.

Garth

---

From: Kristian Ølgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:15:17 +0200

What's the third option? Are all those little logos supposed to be there?

I also think option 2 is a little too obvious, 1 is best in my opinion.
For icons (on Launchpad etc.) is the idea to use the little logo in
the 'bubble' (top right)  of logo 1?

Kristian

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:21:34 +0200

Could you change the colors in no. 1 ? Pink and brown seems a bit strange
for me,
almost like a Star-CD simulation.

Kent

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:38:41 +0200

> What's the third option? Are all those little logos supposed to be there?

The 3d option is the one in the lower left corner. Those other are
designs that were abandoned at an earlier stage.

> the 'bubble' (top right)  of logo 1?

Depends on what's in the backgrond. If we want to place it on a black
or red background (as on the new web pages), then we might need a
white field that encapsulates the logo somehow.

--
Anders

---

From: Kristian Ølgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:48:26 +0200

> designs that were abandoned at an earlier stage.

OK, I still think 1 is by far the best; 3 beats 2 although the
difference is not big.

> white field that encapsulates the logo somehow.

OK

Kristian

---

From: Martin Sandve Alnæs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:16:20 +0200

I like #1 best. Agree that the pink is a bit strange, though the brown
blends nicely with gray and red.

Martin

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:27:03 +0200

I think the pink is there to give it some "sparkle". I imagine it
would look a bit dull without it.

--
Anders

---

From: Kristian Ølgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:14:09 +0200

> would look a bit dull without it.

Try looking at it from a distance, it works pretty well.
In the small icon on the top right you also hardly see it.

Kristian

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 17:29:03 +0200

> Monday and then it will take another two weeks to get the final

I think all are good alternatives, great job!

Although the #2 bird is sleeker than the #1 bird, I think having some 
kind of association with something numerical (aka a mesh) is good, so 
vote for #1. (Can try to invent a set of error indicators that goes with 
it as well ;-) )

Lastly, don't remove the pink! :-)

--
Marie

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 08:33:18 -0700

I go for 3. The two others are too crowded. I have 1 as the worst as I feel it 
does not work for small icons.

Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:11:14 +0200

> does not work for small icons.

That's not an issue. The designer will give us a couple of different
versions, including in particular a version that works well as a small
icon (simplified, fewer colors etc).

Even if nr 2 is very beautiful, I'm starting to feel nr 1 is the best
option.

Keep the opinions coming.

--
Anders

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 09:20:34 -0700

I see, but excuse my image ignorance. What is 1 an image of? I bird that flies 
up?

What with turning the logo clockwise, see attached image.

Johan

On Thursday May 26 2011 09:11:14 Anders Logg wrote:
> > I go for 3. The two others are too crowded. I have 1 as the worst as I
> > feel it does not work for small icons.
>

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:26:16 +0200

I think it's a bird looking towards the upper right corner. The yellow
triangle is an eye. At the same time (if one keeps the original rotation)
it looks like a flame (which connects to the name phoenix). So it's a
both a bird and a flame, and a mesh.

--
Anders

---

From: Mehdi Nikbakht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 18:26:31 +0200

Hello,

I will go for 1, but I am not sure about the pink.

Mehdi

---

From: Joe Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:06:18 -0400

No. 1 is my favorite. Although it took a while to grow on me. It's 
pointillism meets finite elements. The rest seem a little too 
reminiscent of other project logos to me and seem more generic somehow.

Joe.

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 23:25:22 +0200

It looks like #1 has the most votes. If anyone objects to this
conclusion or would like to speak for any of the other two options,
please speak up.

If we go for option #1, we should think about what comments I should
bring back to the designer when I talk to him again on Monday. Here
are some thoughts:

* Make sure the mesh has good quality (no thin triangles)

* Need the big main logo in a vector graphics format

* Need a version that works on the red background of the web page

* Need a possibly simplified logo that works as a regular sized
  desktop icon

* Need a simplified logo that can be used for very small icons

* Need some simple logos that we can use for DOLFIN, FFC etc

* Need something for the book cover

--
Anders

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 02:02:19PM -0700, Ridgway Scott wrote:
> I like #1 because it is more abstract and also includes a triangulation.
>
> On May 26, 2011, at 9:11 AM, Anders Logg wrote:
>

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 08:23:37 +0200

> * Need something for the book cover

Good.
If we don´t have the word FEniCS in the title it would be good if we have it
in the illustration.

Kent

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 11:22:04 +0200

> bring back to the designer when I talk to him again on Monday. Here

Ask him to attempt a few different colour options too.

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 12:52:12 +0200

> Ask him to attempt a few different colour options too.

ok.

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:10:47 +0200

> * Need something for the book cover

I plan to take our decision to the designer today. Is anyone objecting
to option #1?

--
Anders