Subject: [Fenics] Google Summer of Code

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:48:02 -0600

Hello,

Is there any interest in the community to apply for Google Summer of
Code?  For more details on the program see [0] or [1]  .  The deadline
for the org apps is Mar 12 (see [2]).  I participated with the program
in 2009 and it was a very nice experience.  Its a great opportunity to
get some money for students and also to get outside contributors.

-- Andy

[0] http://code.google.com/soc/
[1] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f)

---

From: Evan Lezar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:09:41 +0900

Andy

>From a student point of view, I would be interested - I participated in
2008, and it was a great experience. I have been thinking about doing it
again this year.

What is required from the organisation's side?

Thanks for bringing this up?
--
Evan Lezar

Computational Electromagnetics Group
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
University of Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch
South Africa

www.evanlezar.com

GoogleTalk: evanlezar
Skype: evanlezar

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>wrote:

> [2]
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f
> )
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:12:51 -0600

I think most of the details are on the faq link above.  Basically the
org applies by giving some ideas about projects, various mentors, and
details on their project. If accepted the org then will accept the
number of slots allocated to them and the specific mentors will over
see the projects.  An average time for the mentor is about 5 hours per
week and usually the student to interact with the community through
mailing lists and irc.

I think there needs to be more interest than just a few people for it
to be reasonable to prepare an application.  I'm willing to take some
time and get things together.  Is anyone else interested in mentoring?

-- Andy

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Evan Lezar <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/d839c0b02ac15b3f)
>>

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 22:15:09 +0100

Sure, I can mentor.

There are plenty of blueprints to choose from on Launchpad or we could
do something more exciting.

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:26:22 +0200

I guess it is too later for this year, but perhaps next year we will
have time to put a proposal together.

--
Anders

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:51:00 -0500

Yeah its too late this year.  Sorry I dropped the ball on this.  The
deadline fell on a rough date for me.

I'll keep an eye out and let the list know when/if they do it next year.

-- Andy

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 4:26 AM, Anders Logg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkwYmL4ACgkQTuwUCDsYZdEYEQCfVT0+E+SJoRISmi0Q9w4aPUa4
> aeIAoJOpXii6FB12HRpKxvIHyGiJwaqa
> =NR5b
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>