Subject: [Fenics] concerning trilinos package

From: Riccardo Rossi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:56:02 +0100

Dear list,
         i am a developer of the "Kratos" project 
(http://www.cimne.com/kratos/), which is an effort (in my understanding) 
somewhat similar to the Fenics.

by googling for a packaged trilinos version, i found a link to your ppa. 
We are currently packaging the trilinos libs together with our program, 
but this is definitely not the optimal way to go. We were wondering if 
you have intention of "properly packaging" the trilinos for ubuntu, and 
possibly for other linux distros.

thank you in advance for any comment on the subject

Riccardo

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:26:54 +0100

Hi Riccardo,

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Riccardo Rossi <[email-masked]> wrote:
> by googling for a packaged trilinos version, i found a link to your ppa. We
> are currently packaging the trilinos libs together with our program, but
> this is definitely not the optimal way to go. We were wondering if you have
> intention of "properly packaging" the trilinos for ubuntu, and possibly for
> other linux distros.

Trilinos is already available as a package in Ubuntu. It is currently
not in a great shape and the version is somewhat old (10.4.0). The
package in Ubuntu comes from Debian (as many other packages), where it
is maintained by the Debian Science team. As a member of that team, I
did an effort earlier this year to upgrade the package to version
10.8.5 (mostly because DOLFIN now requires version 10.8.1 or later).
This package has not been uploaded to Debian yet and it is therefore
not available in the standard repositories in Debian or Ubuntu, but it
will be eventually. The Trilinos package in the FEniCS PPA is based on
the work I did to upgrade to 10.8.5

Johannes