Subject: Re: [Fenics] [Branch ~fenics-core/fenics-doc/1.0] Rev 296: Removed <h2> as requested by Marie

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:03:03 +0200

On 05/31/2011 12:58 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------
> revno: 296
> committer: Harish Narayanan<[email-masked]>
> branch nick: fenics-doc
> timestamp: Tue 2011-05-31 12:57:19 +0200
> message:
>    Removed<h2>  as requested by Marie
> modified:
>    source/_themes/fenics/layout.html
>
>
> --
> lp:~fenics-core/fenics-doc/1.0
> https://code.launchpad.net/~fenics-core/fenics-doc/1.0
>

I've merged fenics-doc/1.0 with fenics-doc as you might have noticed ;-)

Please push there.

--
Marie

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:04:57 +0200

> I've merged fenics-doc/1.0 with fenics-doc as you might have noticed ;-)

Done.

Harish

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:05:44 +0200

>> I've merged fenics-doc/1.0 with fenics-doc as you might have noticed ;-)

Great, thanks :-)

--
Marie

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:49:43 +0200

> >>I've merged fenics-doc/1.0 with fenics-doc as you might have noticed ;-)

What is the motivation for the merge? Luckily the cronjob that
automatically pulls from fenics-doc and publishes it on the web page
is not running. (And I would like to keep it so until the pages are
ready for launch.)

As discussed last week (with either Marie or Harish, don't remember),
perhaps it is more natural now to put the web pages under fenics-web
instead of fenics-doc (now that the actual docs are located in the
projects)?

Harish: what we will get from the designer is the main logo to be
placed in the top right corner of the red banner, or perhaps the
entire banner including the logo and the text "FEniCS Project" in that
special font. We will also get a bunch of icons in various sizes and
formats (desktop install, small thumbnail for newsitems etc), so feel
free to move ahead with the design/structuring of the main page any
time.

--
Anders

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:53:03 +0200

> free to move ahead with the design/structuring of the main page any

Is this designer not providing some sort of overall look for the site as
well?

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 13:56:54 +0200

> Is this designer not providing some sort of overall look for the site as

I have not asked for that specifically since I kind of like what we
have now. Do you think I should ask for that as well? That may take
more time.

--
Anders

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:05:46 +0200

On 05/31/2011 01:49 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
> What is the motivation for the merge?

Mainly, I didn't see the point of keeping a "dead branch" as the main 
branch.

> Luckily the cronjob that

I talked to Johannes about the cron-job before doing the merge, so I 
would hardly call it luck ;-)

> instead of fenics-doc (now that the actual docs are located in the

Yes!

--
Marie

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:10:25 +0200

On 05/31/2011 01:56 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
> have now.

I miss some navigation in "what is now". If exactly the same theme is 
also to be used for the documentation, I think this will be become even 
more apparent. For browsing the documentation, the classical sphinx 
sidebars (or some variant of those) with next topic/previous/table of 
contents/modules/index etc are really useful.

--
Marie

Do you think I should ask for that as well? That may take

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:16:25 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 02:10:25PM +0200, Marie E. Rognes wrote:
> I miss some navigation in "what is now". If exactly the same theme
> is also to be used for the documentation, I think this will be
> become even more apparent. For browsing the documentation, the
> classical sphinx sidebars (or some variant of those) with next
> topic/previous/table of contents/modules/index etc are really
> useful.

Agree. I think there should be

1. Some text at the top that tells you where you are (relative to the
top level): About, Installation, Documentation etc.

2. For the docs, I think there should be a sidebar of some kind with a
table of contents. Not sure whether it should be embedded as part of
the page or actually on the side.

I don't know how to set a sidebar/toc for just some pages.

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:17:14 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 02:05:46PM +0200, Marie E. Rognes wrote:
> Mainly, I didn't see the point of keeping a "dead branch" as the
> main branch.

ok.

> would hardly call it luck ;-)

Aha!

> >instead of fenics-doc (now that the actual docs are located in the

ok. Will you make the merge/move?

--
Anders

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:20:54 +0200

> I don't know how to set a sidebar/toc for just some pages.

The current design with the docs involve having them as separate 
sphinx-projects. So, these can be configured at will.

--
Marie

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:22:18 +0200

> ok. Will you make the merge/move?

Sure :-)

--
Marie

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:37:21 +0200

> have now. Do you think I should ask for that as well? That may take

Designer-like people have a knack for coming up with an overall look
based on the same vision that made the logo. So I thought it might be a
good idea to ask. We can still work on things with the current design
until then.

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:39:49 +0200

> good idea to ask. We can still work on things with the current design

ok, I'll add that to the list. I think it would help if you added a
rudimentary version of the former Wordpress layout as a mockup so he
could use that as input.

--
Anders

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:40:49 +0200

> rudimentary version of the former Wordpress layout as a mockup so he

I don't understand, you mean some screenshots?

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:56:48 +0200

> I don't understand, you mean some screenshots?

My suggestion would be to just add it to new fenics-doc (fenics-web)
branch (in HTML/CSS), place the newsfeed in it's appropriate box and
fill the other boxes with some rudimentary design.

Or if it's easier, just create an image where just draw/copy-paste in
the boxes onto a screenshot of the current web page.

--
Anders

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:09:03 +0200

>> ok. Will you make the merge/move?

Done: pushed lp:fenics-doc to lp:~fenics-web-core/fenics-web/tip and 
made this the trunk series.

I'll go through the fenics-doc blueprints/bugs and reassign to 
fenics-web or dolfin (or ufc/ufl/ffc) according to relevance.

--
Marie

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:10:22 +0200

> fenics-web or dolfin (or ufc/ufl/ffc) according to relevance.

Great!

--
Anders