Subject: [Fenics] Line breaks and reST

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:35:38 +0200

Dear reST experts,

As I was writing my first ever page in reST yesterday, I realised it
sometimes did not play well with hard line breaks. In particular,
bulleted/enumerated lists and Emacs auto-fill-mode. This resulted in
me needing to do thing like:

# Small point that looks good.
# Tiny point.
# Really long bullet that ought to be fit in one line and therefore
doesn't look so nice in the source file and makes revision control look
stupid because a small change in a paragraph-long sentence will be
recorded as a change in a really big block, all of which is kinda annoying.

Is there an easy way around this?

Thanks,
Harish

---

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:31:32 +0200

> Is there an easy way around this?

I'm not sure I get your question probably because I don't use Emacs,
I just switched to gvim from gedit (for writing docs) to get reST
syntax highlighting and block indentation (which was removed from the
latest gedit :( ).

Anyway, I broke the long line (to match
http://www.fenics.org/newdoc/styleguides.html#styleguides-sphinx-coding-style)
and indented it:

which results in a good looking bulleted list. I hope that answers
your question.

Kristian

> Thanks,
> Harish
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:39:43 +0200

> which results in a good looking bulleted list. I hope that answers

Yes, this works. Thanks! The way I had it earlier confused sphinx.

Harish