Subject: [Fenics] install vtk from Fenics tarball

From: Shiyuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:29:52 -0500

Hi all,

    I downloaded the fenics source from
http://www.fenicsproject.org/pub/software/fenics/fenics-source-1.0.0-osx10.7.tar.gz.
I installed each component from the tar balls separately. When I installed
vtk, I did cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=\prefix-dir, make, make install. I
don't see any errors during the installation. However, after make install,
the vtk python module(vtk/__init__.py) is not in the \prefix-dir\lib. Any
extra step do I need to do in order to generate the vtk python module.
Thanks.

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:02:25 +0200

> extra step do I need to do in order to generate the vtk python module.

To build the VTK Python modules, you must turn on VTK_WRAP_PYTHON in
CMake. However, I don't recommend this way of installing FEniCS and
its dependencies. Have you tried the binary package? If you want to
build everything from source, the easiest way is probably to use
Dorsal.

Johannes