Subject: [FEniCS-dev] Hertzian contact

From: "Artur P." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:27:32 +0100

Hello,

is anybody able to share some example of elastic (Hertzian) contact problem
implementation? As far as I found - Ko module does it, but have no clue how
could be done.
I found some papers dealing with this topic, but the functionals describing
such a problem with millions of indices are just scary ;-) and seem to be
hard to be implemented (for me).

Thanks for any respond
best regards
artur

---

From: Johan Jansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:28:19 +0100

Artur P. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is anybody able to share some example of elastic (Hertzian) contact 
> problem implementation? As far as I found - Ko module does it, but 
> have no clue how could be done.
> I found some papers dealing with this topic, but the functionals 
> describing such a problem with millions of indices are just scary ;-) 
> and seem to be hard to be implemented (for me).
>
> Thanks for any respond
> best regards
> artur
Hi!

Ko implemented what could be called a Hertzian contact model, we've 
called it "mass-spring", a discrete model based on contacting spheres. 
Unicorn is a FEniCS project which aims to unify continuum mechanics 
models and solvers in FEniCS, and Ko is a natural part of Unicorn. 
However, the contact model has not been a priority and we haven't spent 
resources on porting it over to Unicorn yet.

If you want to take a look, head over to:

http://www.fenics.org/wiki/Unicorn

  Johan