Subject: [Fenics] FEniCS 1.0

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:04:46 +0100

Dear all,

As you all know, we have released 1.0 (!) after 10 years of hard
work.

After a bit of testing and updating of the build on several platforms
(Dorsal), the release is being announced today.

Please help out spreading the word about the release, and report any
typos/mistakes on the web pages. Below follows the announcement of
the release:

We are pleased to announce the release of FEniCS 1.0. This is the
first stable and supported release of FEniCS.

FEniCS is an integrated problem solving environment for partial
differential equations for both Python and C++ users. A high-level
expressive interface is combined with efficiency through automated and
seamless generation of highly efficient low level code (C++). An
integrated domain-specific form language allows finite element
variational problems to be expressed in near-mathematical notation as
part of a simulation program.

Summary of features:
* An integrated domain-specific finite element form language
* Fully automated assembly of finite element variational forms
* Fully distributed simplex meshes in 1D, 2D, 3D
* High-performance linear algebra (based on PETSc and Trilinos)
* A large library of different finite elements
* Automated adaptive error control

FEniCS is available for a multitude of platforms, with prebuilt
binaries for Debian/Ubuntu, Mac OS X and Windows. In addition, an
automated build script automates the building of FEniCS and its
dependencies (including PETSc and Trilinos) on a large collection of
(*nix) platforms.

FEniCS is supported by extensive documentation, consisting of a
comprehensive tutorial, detailed API documentation and a range of
documented demos. In addition, the 700-page FEniCS book (Springer
2011) documents the methodology behind the FEniCS Project and
highlights a number of applications based on FEniCS.

For more information: http://fenicsproject.org/

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Next up is the release of the book which, according to some recent
news from Springer, should be printed in the middle of January.

--
Anders

---

From: "Johan Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 20:02:55 +0100

Good job everyone, big milestone!

/J

> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 21:17:08 +0100

NICE!!!!!

Kent

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:37:16 +0100

Yes, it was on the NA Digest issue that came yesterday.

--
Anders

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 07:21:24AM -0800, Ridgway Scott wrote:
> Is someone submitting the announcement to NA-net?
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 8:04 AM, Anders Logg wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> >