Subject: [Fenics] Problems with MPI

From: Lorenzo Isella <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:09:43 +0200

Dear All,
I am running Debian (testing) on my system but I managed to install 
Fenics by pulling the needed packaged from unstable (I'll spare the 
details unless they may prove useful).
However, when I try importing Dolfin, this is what happens

In [1]: from dolfin import *
*** The MPI_comm_size() function was called before MPI_INIT was invoked.
*** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.
*** Your MPI job will now abort.
[garibaldi:17189] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able 
to guarantee that all other processes were killed!

Is it a bug? What info am I supposed to provide you help you (and me) 
understand what is going on?
Many thanks

Lorenzo

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:27:27 +0200

Hi Lorenzo,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Lorenzo Isella
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> [garibaldi:17189] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
> guarantee that all other processes were killed!

Yes, this has already been reported in Debian:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=631589

One solution is to import PyTrilinos before importing dolfin, however,
I'm not sure that's the best solution.

Johannes

---

From: Lorenzo Isella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 15:58:48 +0200

Hello,
And thanks for the quick reply.
So, if I understand correctly, the main strategy for me is to wait for
this bug to be ironed out by the Debian maintainer, right?
Cheers

Lorenzo

---

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:43:24 +0200

Hi Lorenzo,

> this bug to be ironed out by the Debian maintainer, right?

A new package including this fix was uploaded to Debian unstable
yesterday. It is currently sitting in NEW [1], so you can either wait
for it to become available in unstable or you can make sure that
PyTrilinos is imported before dolfin.

[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

Johannes