Subject: Re: [fenics-dev] FEniCS, Sieve and AMR

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:23:44 +0100

Quoting tomtzigt <[email-masked]>:

> What is the roadmap of the functionality integration between FEniCS and
> Sieve? I am looking at using CUBIT for some industrial strength meshing but
> need some help understanding the impact of that choice in the context of AMR
> within FEniCS.

My limited experience using CUBIT has been positive. It is very powerful. An
irritation was the restrictive distribution, which in the past required that you
write an essay on how you planned to keep the source code secure. After they
"graded" your essay, several days later you could receive the source code.

I see now that they ask for a license fee. While it's not much, I find that the
time and hassle required to process this type of thing is not worth the effort
given the open source alternatives, such as gmsh, which are available.

An iteresting issue is how mesh input can be generated for Sieve. Could Matt or
Dmitry elaborate on this?

Garth

> Theo

---

From: Matthew Knepley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:27:45 -0600

> Dmitry elaborate on this?

  I have written a parser for two similar mesh formats, basically vertex coordinates
and vertex lists for cells. I have only tested simplices, but it should work for
all polytopes I think (need to  check). In the process it constructs all intermediate
edges, faces, etc. I can make this optional. It would not be hard to write custom
input for other formats I think.

      Matt
-- 
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec Guiness

---

From: "tomtzigt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:07:34 -0500

Yes, this helps quite a bit. What I internalized is that the initial mesh
can come from anywhere, as long as we have a translator from that mesh
format to Sieve, assuming that Sieve at one point becomes the core mesh
representation of FEniCS.

Theo

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Knepley [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 4:28 PM
To: Garth N. Wells
Cc: tomtzigt; 'Discussion of FEniCS development'
Subject: Re: [fenics-dev] FEniCS, Sieve and AMR

> Dmitry elaborate on this?

  I have written a parser for two similar mesh formats, basically vertex
coordinates
and vertex lists for cells. I have only tested simplices, but it should work
for
all polytopes I think (need to  check). In the process it constructs all
intermediate
edges, faces, etc. I can make this optional. It would not be hard to write
custom
input for other formats I think.

      Matt
-- 
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec
Guiness

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:10:38 -0600

> representation of FEniCS.

That's the plan.

/Anders