Subject: [Fenics] questions on scicomp

From: Nico Schlömer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:10:48 +0100

Hi all,

when asking questions about FEniCS/Dolfin, is it still recommended to
use Launchpad or can we already switch to stackexchange, i.e., are you
guys already watching the fenics-tagged questions coming in over
there?

--Nico

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 21:37:52 +0100

> guys already watching the fenics-tagged questions coming in over

I suggest we wait until we've converted the repositories, then after
that focus on moving the questions over to stackexchange.

--
Anders

---

From: Florian Rathgeber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:32:42 +0000

> that focus on moving the questions over to stackexchange.

Why not encourage to start asking questions over there already?
StackExchange is about critical mass, so people will feel more
comfortable using it when they're not the first to ask a question.

You're not planning to actually migrate the questions from
answers.launchpad.net to scicomp, are you?

Florian

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:02:20 +0100

> comfortable using it when they're not the first to ask a question.

I think we should focus on one thing at a time. We're still discussing
how to convert the code. Moving over to stackexchange is a bit more
involved than just moving there. We need to update the web page with
some good instructions for how to post questions on stackexchange
(with links to stackexchange guidelines) and some instructive examples
on what to post there and what not to post there. I imagine we will
have another thread on that in a week or so.

> answers.launchpad.net to scicomp, are you?

No. We start over fresh, just as with the git branch(es). :-)

--
Anders

---

From: Jan Blechta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:14:42 +0100

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 11:02:20 +0100
Anders Logg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >> when asking questions about FEniCS/Dolfin, is it still
> > >> recommended to use Launchpad or can we already switch to
> > >> stackexchange, i.e., are you guys already watching the
> > >> fenics-tagged questions coming in over there?
> > >
> > > I suggest we wait until we've converted the repositories, then
> > > after that focus on moving the questions over to stackexchange.
> >

Actually what is the reason not to keep questions (and possibly bug
management) on launchpad? Does it work poorly? DOLFIN has huge question
base and launchpad web UI suggest to user questions related to his
problem before actually posting it. Perhapse it would save many
recurrent questions when starting from scratch on stackexchange.

Jan

> 
> --
> Anders
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:20:03 +0100

> recurrent questions when starting from scratch on stackexchange.

The stackexchange system is even better suited for this. Questions and
answers can be voted up and down + other features not available on
Launchpad. And stackexchange seems to be a much more vibrant community.

--
Anders

---

From: Nico Schlömer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:21:43 +0100

stackexchange is somewhat fashionable nowadays, and for good reasons
indeed. Plus also, there's no need to remove the old questions from
launchpad (is it?).

--Nico

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:23:14 +0100

> indeed. Plus also, there's no need to remove the old questions from

No, that would be way too much work to remove all those questions... :-)

--
Anders

---

From: Jan Blechta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:48:44 +0100

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:21:43 +0100
> indeed. Plus also, there's no need to remove the old questions from

Of course, but I guess users will be too lazy to search in
abondoned launchapad before posting to stackexchange:)

> >> > > > I suggest we wait until we've converted the repositories,
> >> > > > then after that focus on moving the questions over to
> >> > > > stackexchange.
> >> > >
> >> > I think we should focus on one thing at a time. We're still
> >> > discussing how to convert the code. Moving over to stackexchange
> >> > is a bit more involved than just moving there. We need to update
> >> > the web page with some good instructions for how to post
> >> > questions on stackexchange (with links to stackexchange
> >> > guidelines) and some instructive examples on what to post there
> >> > and what not to post there. I imagine we will have another
> >> > thread on that in a week or so.
> >> >
> >> management) on launchpad? Does it work poorly? DOLFIN has huge
> >> question base and launchpad web UI suggest to user questions
> >> related to his problem before actually posting it. Perhapse it
> >> would save many recurrent questions when starting from scratch on
> >> stackexchange.
> >
> > The stackexchange system is even better suited for this. Questions
> > and answers can be voted up and down + other features not available
> > on Launchpad. And stackexchange seems to be a much more vibrant
> > community.
> >
> > --
> > Anders
> >

---

From: Jan Blechta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:50:58 +0100

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 15:20:03 +0100
Anders Logg <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > and what not to post there. I imagine we will have another thread
> > > on that in a week or so.
> > >

Ok, let's see if this vibrancy saves time to 5 person answering 90%
questions:)

---

From: Nico Schlömer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:24:57 +0100

> abondoned launchapad before posting to stackexchange:)

Well, my regular workflow is to google things -- if the answer comes
up on launchpad or anywhere else doesn't really matter. Does anyone
explicitly search launchpad alone?
Anyways, one can always post the launchpad link along with a friendly
rtfm and downvote the question. :)
--Nico

---

From: Nico Schlömer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:27:31 +0100

> Ok, let's see if this vibrancy saves time to 5 person answering 90%

You underestimate the power of the point and badge system -- this
really speaks to of reward of anyone who ever played video games in
the 90s. :)
--Nico

---

From: Jan Blechta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:21:44 +0100

On Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:24:57 +0100
> rtfm and downvote the question. :)

Good point!

RTFM is friendly - read the FEniCS manual:)

Jan

> >> stackexchange is somewhat fashionable nowadays, and for good
> >> reasons indeed. Plus also, there's no need to remove the old
> >> questions from launchpad (is it?).
> >
> >> >> > > Why not encourage to start asking questions over there
> >> >> > > already? StackExchange is about critical mass, so people
> >> >> > > will feel more comfortable using it when they're not the
> >> >> > > first to ask a question.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > discussing how to convert the code. Moving over to
> >> >> > stackexchange is a bit more involved than just moving there.
> >> >> > We need to update the web page with some good instructions
> >> >> > for how to post questions on stackexchange (with links to
> >> >> > stackexchange guidelines) and some instructive examples on
> >> >> > what to post there and what not to post there. I imagine we
> >> >> > will have another thread on that in a week or so.
> >> >> >
> >> >> Actually what is the reason not to keep questions (and possibly
> >> >> bug management) on launchpad? Does it work poorly? DOLFIN has
> >> >> huge question base and launchpad web UI suggest to user
> >> >> questions related to his problem before actually posting it.
> >> >> Perhapse it would save many recurrent questions when starting
> >> >> from scratch on stackexchange.
> >> >
> >> > The stackexchange system is even better suited for this.
> >> > Questions and answers can be voted up and down + other features
> >> > not available on Launchpad. And stackexchange seems to be a much
> >> > more vibrant community.
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > Anders
> >> >

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:56:36 +0100

> RTFM is friendly - read the FEniCS manual:)

! :-)

--
Anders