Subject: [Fenics] Further reorganization of doc files

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:10:58 +0200

Garth and I have been discussing the location of the demos and it
seems clear that they should be part of DOLFIN (not fenics-doc).

In the same way as for the C++ documentation, it is not practical to
split the demos between two different repositories (doc in one, and
code in the other). So we put them in the same repository.

Then the question is where. For the C++ documentation, it is obvious
that the code+documentation should be part of DOLFIN (since the code
needs to be part of DOLFIN).

For the same reason, the demos need to be part of DOLFIN since we need
to be able to run and update them frequently while developing.

It's also good to have the same kind of dependency both for C++ code
and demos, with changes propagating from DOLFIN to fenics-doc, not the
opposite (or both).

I therefore suggest that we put all the subdirectories inside
source/demos into DOLFIN_DIR/demo/.

This directory would then contain three subdirectories:

  pde
  la
  undocumented

The last directory would contain all demos (uncategorized) which have
not yet been documented. A simple script can be run from fenics-doc to
update.

--
Anders

---

From: Kristian Ølgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:22:10 +0200

> not yet been documented. A simple script can be run from fenics-doc to

So we pull copies of source code files (*.py, *.ufl, *.cpp) from
DOLFIN to fenics-doc, to be uploaded with the rest of the
documentation on the web server?
Sounds reasonable to me, and the test environment for DOLFIN will stay
as it is now.

Kristian

> --
> Anders
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:26:11 +0200

> Sounds reasonable to me, and the test environment for DOLFIN will stay

Exactly. Let's not touch the files in dolfin-doc/source/demos for a
little while until we have sorted out the copying to DOLFIN and then
back again.

We can setup a simple script (essentially calling rsync) to do the
copying. Perhaps the following scripts would be useful:

  utils/extract-dolfin-programmers-reference  # same as today but renamed
  utils/extract-dolfin-demos                  # new simple script calling rsync
  utils/extract-all                           # calling the above two scripts

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 00:00:56 +0200

There will be one once we have documented the demos. The idea is to
throw all our undocumented (but well commented) demos in one big
directory and put them back in the right category once they are
documented.

Here's what we have now:

http://www.fenics.org/newdoc/demos/index-python.html

This is the level of commenting we want for all our demos.

--
Anders

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 02:35:18PM -0700, Ridgway Scott wrote:
> What about an ODE directory?
>
> On Aug 31, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
>

--
Anders