Subject: [FEniCS-dev] PEM Fuel Cell modelling

From: Alexandre Pereira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 00:13:48 +0100

Hi Forum

I want to use the FEniCS package to model the transient behaviour of a Fuel
Fell ( Proton Exchange Membrane type )

To do so, I will analyze which phenomena happen in each of the layers which
compose a single stack ( I guess that periodic symmetry of the stack can be
assumed for a large assemby of stacks )

In the bipolar plates I can assume Fourrier heat conduction, in the Gas
Diffusion layers, I can use Heat conduction as well as species diffusion (
two Reaction Diffusion-type equations ...)

In the electrolyte membrane, considering the energy balance, as well as the
chemical species balance, and the detailed kinetics of the reaction, I shall
need several Reaction Diffusion equations to model heat transport as well as
the diffusion and reaction of the species...  )

In the electrodes  ...  ( forgive my ignorance here, I am a mechanical
engineer...  ) I do not know how to build a variational form for electric
charge conservation...

...Anyway, my doubts in starting this are :

How do I model my several layers ( forgot to mention the Navier Stokes
equations in the manifolds, for single phase flow of hydrogen in the anode
layer, and two phase flow, air+ water in the cathode...)

To be expoerted in XML format...?

How do I refer specifically to each one of my layers in the global mesh in
my *.form file,,,?

...each one of them will be the place of different ( coupled phenomena... )

... can somebody help me here...  ?

thanks in advance

Alex