Subject: [Fenics] FEniCS releases and appointing a release manager

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:18:52 +0100

Hi,

I would like to follow-up on previous discussions in other fora
regarding FEniCS releases: we would like to make releases more often,
how do we ensure that that actually happens?

In order to make it happen, I suggest we appoint a permanent[1]
release manager who is responsible for initiating releases at a
suitable, pre-defined frequency, and for driving the release process
in accordance with the development model[2]. A frequency of
approximately once every three months has been mentioned before, but
this can of course be discussed further.

Moreover, I've talked to Johannes about this -- and he is willing to
and interested in doing this job :-) Frequent releases would ensure
that the release scripts are up to date and Johannes (and others) have
indicated that most of the button-clicking on Launchpad indeed can be
scripted via the Launchpad API.

Sidenote: I think that this is a good way to go regardless of whether
the FEniCS components are kept as is or if we decide to go for a more
unified approach (UFR).

Comments/Objections/All in favor?

Thanks,
   Marie

[1] Meaning: until further notice
[2] in particular, steps 3.-7. listed here 
http://fenicsproject.org/contributing/development_model.html)

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:00:00 +0000

> Comments/Objections/All in favor?

Sounds good.

Garth

> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:59:50 +0100

>> Comments/Objections/All in favor?

Yes.

--
Anders

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 21:16:56 +0100

>>> Comments/Objections/All in favor?

Sounds very good!

Johan

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 10:16:51 +0100

>>>> Comments/Objections/All in favor?

That sounded like a unanimous "all in favor" -- great, then that's 
decided. I'll follow up with Johannes.

--
Marie