Subject: [FEniCS-dev] Debian packages

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 18:41:36 +0200

We have made some progress on packaging FEniCS for Debian/Ubuntu...
Thomas Lunde has done an excellent job setting up the initial version of 
the build scripts.

To try out the packages, add the following two lines to your 
/etc/apt/sources.list:

   deb http://www.fenics.org/debian/ unstable main
   deb-src http://www.fenics.org/debian/ unstable main

You also need to add the key used to sign the packages to your list of 
trusted keys:

   wget http://www.fenics.org/debian/pubring.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Then (after apt-get update) you should be able to install the following
packages:

   libdolfin
   libdolfin-dev
   ferari (but see below)
   ffc
   fiat
   instant
   ufc

Please help out finding/correcting any problems with these packages.
We have opened a new mailing list [email-masked] for this discussion.

There are a number of issues to be solved. Here are some of the most 
important:

1. Building the package for SyFi fails, something with
error: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/_SyFi.so: Permission denied.

Kent, can you take a look at this?

2. Building the packages for Swiginac fails, something with
/usr/include/ginac/version.h:31: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or 
'__attribute__' before 'GiNaC'

Ola, can you take a look at this?

3. Installing the package for FErari fails, something with
   File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/FErari/xpermutations.py", line 19
     from __future__ import generators
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file

Rob, can you take a look at this?

4. There hasn't be a release yet of Viper. Ola, could you make a release 
so I can add the package?

5. Packages for Puffin and Ko are missing. Puffin depends on MATLAB and 
I'm not sure it's worth the effort porting it to Octave. Is there any
interest in keeping this project? What about Ko? There hasn't been a
release in quite some time. Johan?

To get the build scripts for the packages, just do

   hg clone http://www.fenics.org/dev/deb

/Anders

---

From: "Johan Hoffman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:13:49 +0200 (MEST)

> Thomas Lunde has done an excellent job setting up the initial version of
...

Sounds great!

> release in quite some time. Johan?

I do not think Puffin is needed in a Debian package, but I think it is an
important project for educational purposes, say in an itroductory course
in FEM. In particular since in FIAT/FFC/Dolfin a lot of the basic FEM
stuff is not very transparant.

It may not be obvious that Puffin neccessarily must be a FEniCS project.
But then again, why not?

/Johan H

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:35:00 +0200

> stuff is not very transparant.

Good point... :-)

> It may not be obvious that Puffin neccessarily must be a FEniCS project.

Yes, why not. I was just wondering if anyone was using it.

/Anders