Subject: [Fenics] FEniCS installer for Mac OS X 10.6

From: Johannes Ring <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 20:33:10 +0100

Hello all,

It's a pleasure to announce the availability of a new FEniCS installer
for Mac OS X 10.6. With this new installer it is easier than ever to
install FEniCS on a Mac. Just drag'n'drop an icon and you should be
set. Even simpler than using Dorsal!

The installers only requirement is XCode, which can be installed from
the OS X install disc. The installer is built on the unstable FEniCS
packages and it comes bundled with lots of third party packages,
including Boost, CGAL, SWIG, SuiteSparse, Armadillo, PETSc, SLEPc,
SCOTCH, VTK, CMake, and IPython (with full readline support).

If you own a Mac and would like to try out the installer, please point
your browser at this location:

  http://www.fenicsproject.org/pub/software/fenics/fenics-snapshot-osx10.6.dmg

The installer should be mounted automatically after the download
completes. Then simply drag the FEniCS icon into the Applications
folder. After the files have been copied over, you can click on the
FEniCS icon in the Applications folder. This will bring up a terminal
and you should be ready to start working with FEniCS. Alternatively,
the following line could be added to ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc:

   source /Applications/FEniCS.app/Contents/Resources/share/fenics/fenics.conf

This should set up the necessary path's to work with FEniCS. Please
report back with any bugs, comments, or suggestions for improvements.

Note that the package is built against system Python and will not work
with MacPorts Python and the like.

Johannes