Subject: [Fenics] pip install support

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:52:34 +0200

Hello!

I would advocate to add releases of pure Python packages in FEniCS to
the PyPI Server. Packages can then be installed by:

  pip install {ffc,ufl,fiat,aso}

PyPI also integrates well with distutils. One can for example include
dependencies in the setup(...) call in the setup.py file. For example
can Fiat's dependency on ScientificPython be indicated by adding:

  setup(...
     requires = ['ScientificPython'])

If FIAT is installed using pip install ScientificPython will also be
installed.

I have not added any packages to the server myself but the procedure
looks pretty straightforward. It requires a PyPI account on
pypi.python.org though.

Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 17:36:48 +0200

> looks pretty straightforward. It requires a PyPI account on

Yes why not. The best would be to integrate it into the release
script(s) if possible.

--
Anders

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:45:32 -0500

pip install is nice and supported by PETSc even.  Although I doubt it
will be the PETSc FEniCS needs with all the bells and whistles.

-- Andy

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Johan Hake <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:13:59 +0200

> will be the PETSc FEniCS needs with all the bells and whistles.

Sounds interesting. I deliberately only thought about the pure Python
packages, but it might be possible to hook dolfin into the system too.

Johan

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:15:40 +0200

On 08/13/2012 05:36 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
> Yes why not. 

Well, it adds some constraint to the release process ;)

> The best would be to integrate it into the release
> script(s) if possible.

That is true. But I think a project manager need to do the actual
upload, but that is not very different from how it is on launchpad, I guess.

Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:18:50 +0200

> upload, but that is not very different from how it is on launchpad, I guess.

Let's keep it in mind for the next release. It might be easy and worth
the effort.

--
Anders