Subject: [FEniCS-dev] Uploading movies to FEniCS wiki

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:58:51 +0200

Hi,

I was trying to upload a movie to the FEniCS wiki page, but I got the message
that the size of the file was too big (file is 7+ Mb). What are the limitations
and what should the format be?

I worked around it by putting the file in:

[email-masked]:/var/www/www.fenics.org/pub/software/fenics-apps/fenics-plasticity/fenics-plasticity-beam.avi

and linking to it from the page:

http://www.fenics.org/wiki/FEniCS_Plasticity

where the result can be seen.

Now, for future reference what should the procedure be?

Kristian

---

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:54:07 +0200

> Now, for future reference what should the procedure be?

There is a limit on how large a file the server's PHP installation will
allow uploaded (can be changed by something like upload_max_filesize in
php.ini) and on top of that, MediaWiki imposes an artificial limit on
the size of files uploaded ($wgUploadSizeWarning, $wgMaxUploadSize in
LocalSettings.php).

I see two possible approaches for the future:

1. Have someone with write access to the server change these variables
to be large enough. (Also, someone with read access to those settings
files can tell you what the limits currently are.)
2. Have people upload movies to their own servers and just link to them
from the Wiki.

Harish

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:39:25 +0200

> 2. Have people upload movies to their own servers and just link to them

I think the current is ok, so my suggestion would be that for larger
files, one needs to post a link (URL) to the maintainers (on the
mailing list) and then you can just upload it to the server since you
have write access.

-- 
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:48:28 +0200

> mailing list) and then you can just upload it to the server since you

I think the current *limit* is ok, so my suggestion would be that for larger
files, one needs to post a link (URL) to the maintainers (on the
mailing list) and then you can just upload it to the server since you
have write access.

---

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:45:15 +0200

> mailing list) and then you can just upload it to the server since you

OK, so just out of curiosity: what is the current limit?

Kristian

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:05:22 +0200

> OK, so just out of curiosity: what is the current limit?

In php.ini:

  upload_max_filesize = 2M

I couldn't find any additional restriction in LocalSettings.php.

-- 
Anders

---

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:22:56 +0200

Quoting Anders Logg <[email-masked]>:

> > > > > > I was trying to upload a movie to the FEniCS wiki page, but I got
> the
> > > message
> > > > > > that the size of the file was too big (file is 7+ Mb). What are
> the
> > > limitations
> I couldn't find any additional restriction in LocalSettings.php.

OK, thanks.

Kristian