Subject: [Fenics] Branches, series and stuff

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 17:03:50 +0100

As part of the ongoing work with releasing 1.0 (only DOLFIN remaining
now...) I have added series (0.x, 1.0, trunk) and branches (1.0.x,
trunk) on Launchpad for most of our projects (Martin fixed UFL and I
fixed DOLFIN, FFC, FIAT, UFC, Instant, Viper, FErari). We have also
retargeted all existing milestones to the proper series and updated
the graphics on Launchpad.

So everyone need to get familiar with the new branches and make sure
they know where to push.

I'm feeling the Launchpad and release administration is becoming quite
tedious and my finger actually hurts from all the clicking on
Launchpad buttons. Since we have 10 or so different projects to worry
about, there's an extra factor 10 to everything we do. Not only will
my (or someone else's) finger hurt every time we make a new release,
but there's a greater chance something will go wrong (clicking the
wrong button).

So I wonder if there's any chance we could simplify the source code
management for all our packages. One crazy idea would be to just throw
everything into one single package (maybe with the exception of
DOLFIN), let every package have its own subdirectory, but keep a
common Launchpad page and a common tarball.

I know there are tons of reasons we shouldn't do this (I can think of
quite a few myself) but there seem to be some arguments in favor, the
main one being that we have x packages and y << x very active package
maintainers.

--
Anders

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 22:48:17 +0100

We should take a look at:

  https://launchpad.net/launchpadlib

with ubuntu package

  python-launchpadlib

Maybe we can script everythin!

Johan

On Wednesday December 7 2011 17:03:50 Anders Logg wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:59:58 +0000

> Maybe we can script everythin!

Lumping everything together is a very bad idea. Some improved scripting is the way to go.

Garth

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 23:14:04 +0100

> > Maybe we can script everythin!

Yes, it's worth a try. We are pretty good at scripting so it should be
possible...

It will require that we are very consistent with the naming, directory
structure etc of the different components.

> Lumping everything together is a very bad idea. Some improved scripting is the way to go.

It's worth a try.

--
Anders

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:55:04 +0100

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 11:14:04PM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:
> It will require that we are very consistent with the naming,
> directory structure etc of the different components.

For a start, we should require that the pre-release hook in
release.conf takes care of updating the version number (by sed or
similar) in all files that need updating.

--
Anders