Subject: [Fenics] FEniCS documentation status (update)

From: Kristian Ølgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 19:24:55 +0100

Below is an update status report of what is left to be done for the
FEniCS documentation to be complete.

* Tutorial
 - Hans Petter is working on translating his TEX source to reST for
the Python version.
 - Figure out if there are some common parts of the text which can be
shared with the C++ version.
 - Fill in blanks for C++ version.
 - This work can be completed independently of the other parts since
we can already use references like
   :py:class:`Foo` :cpp:class:`Foo`.

* Demos
 - Framework is in place.
 - Add documentation for all demos in the dolfin/demo/undocumented directory.
 - Again, this work can be completed independently of the other parts
since we can already use references like
   :py:class:`Foo` :cpp:class:`Foo`.

* Programmer's reference
 - Framework is in place.
 - Add documentation for missing classes functions in the *.h files in DOLFIN.
 - Add/improve docstrings for the extended methods in the *_post.i files and the
   Python layer in dolfin/site-packages/dolfin
 - Add appendices for FFC, UFC and UFL. Translate the current manuals
to reST and improve the
   docstrings in the module such that we can generate the programmer's
reference for the modules
   automatically.

As we document the interface we have to fix and improve the code in
dolfin/dolfin/swig/documentation.py which handles the mapping of C++
--> Python types
(double* --> numpy.array etc.). It is working for only a limited range
of types at the moment.

More information can be found here:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fenics-doc

Kristian