Subject: [FEniCS-dev] [[email-masked]: Warm-up for FEniCS'09]

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:51:57 +0200

This announcement didn't make it to the list so I'm resending it here.

-- 
Anders

Subject: Warm-up for FEniCS'09
From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
Cc: Discussion of FEniCS development <[email-masked]>, Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>, Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>, Tom Atkinson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:09:05 +0200

Dear all,

We're approaching June and looking forward to seeing you all here at
Simula for FEniCS'09. Some 40 people have registered for the workshop
and 20 have announced they want to give a talk. We're currently
preparing the workshop program which will be presented on the workshop
web page as soon as it's ready:

  http://www.fenics.org/wiki/FEniCS_09

For those of you who arrive early, I'm happy to announce that
Prof. Douglas N Arnold (http://www.ima.umn.edu/~arnold/), the current
president of SIAM, will visit Simula on June 10 and give a talk. Be
sure not to miss it if you have a chance to arrive early. Title and
abstract follow.

  Stability, Consistency, and Convergence: Modern Variations on a Classical Theme

  Consistency and stability of numerical discretizations are the basic
  leitmotifs of numerical analysis, and the idea that consistency and
  stability imply convergence is a principle theme, particularly in the
  numerical solution of partial differential equations.  But both
  consistency and stability can, in some situations, be more subtle and
  elusive than they might appear.  Even seemingly simple examples of
  numerical discretizations can yield unexpected - and even, in real
  life applications, tragic - results.  The development of consistent,
  stable numerical methods remains elusive for important classes of
  problems.  We will survey these ideas from their origins in the
  precomputer era to the present day, via a variety of examples. We
  finish by describing a new approach, the finite element exterior
  calculus, which borrows tools from geometry and topology to design and
  elucidate stable finite element methods.

  Place: Bakrommet @ Simula
  Time: 10.00 am

  http://simula.no/research/scientific/cbc/events/2009/cbc-talk-stability-consistency-and-convergence-modern-variations-on-a-classical-theme-june-10-2009

See you all in a couple of weeks!
-- 
Anders, Kent, Ola