Subject: [Fenics] FEniCS 1.0-beta2 releases

From: Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:15:08 +0200

Are there going to be any more FEniCS releases corresponding to DOLFIN
1.0-beta2? I ask because, if not, I will release Dorsal 1.0-beta2 soon.

Harish

---

From: Martin Sandve Alnæs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:18:34 +0200

Does instant need a release? I think Johan did some stuff there?

Martin

On 28 October 2011 11:15, Harish Narayanan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 06:12:45 -0700

That is correct. I have added a NFS file safe locking. 

Johan

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:03:17 +0100

I'll make a release now.

Garth

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:16:06 +0100

> I'll make a release now.

Done.

Garth

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:18:47 -0700

> On 28 October 2011 18:03, Garth N. Wells <[email-masked]> wrote:

Thanks!

For the record. If you want to share the burden of releasing software speak 
out. I guess this issue will be addressed in the suggested development model!

Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:05:15 +0200

> out. I guess this issue will be addressed in the suggested development model!

In the development model, it is the job of the release manager to make
the releases (for stable releases), but I would be very greatful for
some help when it's time to make beta3 or rc1. It would also be useful
to get more testing of the release script (fenics-release availabe in
the fenics-dev repo). It is mostly automated but some manual work is
involved.

Something that I forgot to add is version numbers for the different
components. As a rule of thumb, we suggest that the same version
number is always used for

  FEniCS, DOLFIN, FFC, UFL

but not for

  FIAT, UFC, Instant

But when I think of this now again, if we're serious about only fixing
bugs in each series, then the releases shouldn't need to be
coupled. Naively, FFC 1.0.i should work with UFL 1.0.j for any i, j
(disregarding bugs), unless there are bugs that can only be fixed by
breaking the interface between components.

--
Anders