Subject: [Fenics] FEniCS Tutorial at ESCO 2010

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 08:43:07 -0500

Hello,

I have agreed to give a FEniCS Tutorial at ESCO 2010 [0].  If anyone
is interested and in the area feel free to drop by.

Additionally I was wondering if anyone has ever made a live cd with
the necessary FEniCS software installed?  It would be nice to avoid
having participants actually trying to install everything on site.

-- Andy

[0] http://hpfem.org/events/esco-2010/

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:12:28 +0200

> is interested and in the area feel free to drop by.

Cool. One thing to consider would be to have a common repository for
tutorial material. I have some slides I can donate if you are
interested.

> having participants actually trying to install everything on site.

Not that I know of but it sounds like a good idea.

Someone at Simula made a live CD a couple of years back with some
other software (including DOLFIN) but I don't know who made the CD,
and there are probably new and better tools to use these days.

--
Anders

---

From: Johan Jansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 16:17:15 +0200

Hi Andy,

I've created live CDs with Unicorn/FEniCS using the "remastersys" 
package, it allows you to make a live CD of your own Ubuntu setup. Tell 
me if you need help doing this, or I could simply install the version of 
FEniCS you need and generate an image with the setup I have.

Best,
  Johan

Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> Post to     : [email-masked]
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~fenics
> More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 15:47:39 +0100

Hi,

Just to note that it is also easy to make a 
Bootable USB PEN with FEniCS.
I've done it with Lucid Lynx. 

Just created a Lucid Lynx USB Disk 
and then installed FEniCS with synaptic.

It worked out of the box. 

-- 
Nuno David Lopes

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:13:48 -0500

> tutorial material. I have some slides I can donate if you are

That would be excellent.  Matt and I have a system for our
presentations [0] we can model or we could just do like PETSc and put
tutorials up on the webpage.

-- Andy

[0] http://www.bitbucket.org/aterrel/presentations

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkv/z0wACgkQTuwUCDsYZdFqPACgjpPGmHgQUsa8G0lEMTK89iBi
> ywEAnRzwTW4VIl+y8z2F3R8SejSYmUuQ
> =YF18
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:15:28 -0500

If its not too much of a bother, could you just put the latest stable
version up.  Having Unicorn on there would be good to as it would give
some extra material if I need it.

-- Andy

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Johan Jansson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> I've created live CDs with Unicorn/FEniCS using the "remastersys" package,
> it allows you to make a live CD of your own Ubuntu setup. Tell me if you
> need help doing this, or I could simply install the version of FEniCS you
> need and generate an image with the setup I have.
>
> Best,
>  Johan
>
> Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 17:19:28 +0200

> [0] http://www.bitbucket.org/aterrel/presentations

The slides I have are in the exact same format so it should be easy to
merge. :-)

Where are the PETSc tutorials? Are they written in HTML? I prefer
writing in LaTeX.

--
Anders

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 11:04:45 -0500

> It worked out of the box.

Very cool.  The only problem with the usb pen is that they are more
expensive than the cd option.  But with so many laptops not having cd
readers these days I might have to get a few.

-- Andy

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:12:52 -0700

Hello!

I am all for this!

I will have my own tutorial in August, but I need to finish it one of the 
comming weeks.

Johan

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 11:18:53 -0500

> Where are the PETSc tutorials? Are they written in HTML? I prefer

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as/documentation/tutorials/index.html

I think most are in latex but in some private repo.  Which is why Matt
and I have the separate reop.

Should we set up another launchpad project or just incorporate it in
the fenics-doc?

-- Andy

> iEYEARECAAYFAkv/3v8ACgkQTuwUCDsYZdG8RwCfaMwl5FGh2AZ2gbI4DHD2EWuG
> uZIAn3srkmOvZc4E+nyWUU4p7R+f5kxc
> =ib0I

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:18:46 -0700

Remastersys looks good! I might choose this approach too!

I guess I need to deinstall all hardware specific packages, like graphic 
drivers, before I make my live CD?

Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:35:39 +0200

> and I have the separate reop.

ok.

> Should we set up another launchpad project or just incorporate it in

Don't know. It might clutter up that repo but it would be the easiest
option. There's an administrative overhead to creating too many lp
groups/projects.

What does Kristian say? Garth?

--
Anders

---

From: Johan Jansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 18:46:42 +0200

Yes, I can recommend it. You can also install the image to a USB stick 
with the Ubuntu "USB Startup Disk Creator". I haven't experimented with 
exotic hardware configurations, I think the easiest is just to create a 
new generic Ubuntu install somewhere, customize it and then run remastersys.

Best,
  Johan

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 19:18:09 +0200

> readers these days I might have to get a few.

True. My laptop doesn't have one.

--
Anders

---

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 19:43:48 +0200

> option. There's an administrative overhead to creating too many lp

I guess it depends on how it is organised and maintained.
We could have 'presentations' on the same level as 'demos', 'tutorial'
and 'programmer's reference'.
But what I don't want is 200+ tutorials like this:

demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_05_15
demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_07_23
demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_07_25
demonstrating_poisson_at_foo_conference_by_bar_2010_07_26

where 99% of the contents is the same and all the code examples are outdated.

Preferably, we will have a handful of presentations which covers the
essentials from FEniCS: PDEs, la, mesh etc. with up to date code
examples. Then if someone needs a presentation, it's just a matter of
copy/paste with some minor tweaks to direct the presentation towards a
specific audience.

Kristian

> iEYEARECAAYFAkv/8NoACgkQTuwUCDsYZdGDSgCghwEQpd0M0Blr/7xksc0UEd2R
> 3asAn3o8Y24Z/6pZEx6ApWsH9eStgeMX
> =Fuov

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:49:16 -0700

> new generic Ubuntu install somewhere, customize it and then run

Off list, Andy suggested installing it in a virtual machine and create the 
live CD from there, which would probably solve it.

Johan

> >>> me if you need help doing this, or I could simply install the version
> >>> of FEniCS you need and generate an image with the setup I have.
> >>> 
> >>> Best,
> >>> 
> >>>  Johan
> >>> 
> >>> Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
> >>>> Hello,
> >>>>

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:54:10 -0500

> copy/paste with some minor tweaks to direct the presentation towards a

Okay I would be more for a separate repo then.  Tutorials should be
tailored to the audience which by its very nature leads to the
numerous versions.  Matt and I mitigate the out of date bit by having
(almost) every slide be an input.  Then when the slide gets used again
it gets updated.

I guess if there is a good reason to also have an "official"
presentation, then that could be developed in parallel.

-- Andy

---

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 20:08:22 +0200

> presentation, then that could be developed in parallel.

So would it be an idea to have the 'code slides' in the fenics-doc
repo, and then you can pull those bits that you need?

Kristian

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:10:01 +0200

> repo, and then you can pull those bits that you need?

That sounds inconvenient and there's big chance slides won't be
updated in the common repo after someone has put together the
presentation (since that requires an extra step).

So let's do a separate repo. I need to think of where. Any
suggestions?

--
Anders

---

From: Kristian Oelgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 22:17:38 +0200

> So let's do a separate repo. I need to think of where. Any

There used to be  a bunch of old presentation on www.fenics.org, but I
guess that we don't want to put it there (for the same reason as we
moved to Launchpad).

Kristian

> iEYEARECAAYFAkwAFQkACgkQTuwUCDsYZdGxzACfeoVCyGuT1/Kt32MWWdJ3q5kW
> F+MAnRbCr4GtLAohtTIVRJ9wJRCAevtC
> =X73w

---

From: Andy Ray Terrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:57:32 -0500

> So let's do a separate repo. I need to think of where. Any

I've uploaded a repo to launchpad:
https://code.launchpad.net/~andy-terrel/fenics/tutorials

Perhaps we could have a tutorials repo off the fenics project page.
Then there is not extra management for a project.

-- Andy