Subject: [FFC-dev] Release

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 13:05:31 +0100

There have been a lot of changes since the last release, and it would be 
nice to make a release before a full assault on parallelisation, so I 
suggest that we make a release soon. Regarding the few outstanding 
issues in the Roadmap for release 0.9.3:

- Is the move to the new parameter system complete?
- Can command line arguments be parsed with the new system?

I suggest moving the target items

- Break up function Assembler::assemble_system
- Cleanup Function class logic
- Extracting vector field from tensor field

to the next release.

A new release will also require new releases of UFC, Viper, FFC and 
possibly UFL.

Garth

---

From: Kent Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:20:52 +0200

On ma., 2009-07-13 at 13:05 +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> suggest that we make a release soon. 

Agree!! 

> Regarding the few outstanding 

Sorry for the delay here. I have broken up the function but have not
tested it properly for interior facets. Otherwise it seems to be
correct. Somehow it seems to be a bit faster than the monolithic version
(although it requires more operations). I am off to US tomorrow 
and will not be able to test this function properly before I go. 

Kent

> _______________________________________________
> DOLFIN-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/dolfin-dev

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:30:49 +0200

> - Is the move to the new parameter system complete?

Yes, I think so, at least on the C++ side. Johan Hake knows the status
of the Python version better.

There are a few things that are not tested (like parsing command-line
arguments) and not implement (like passing options to PETSc) but that
can be move to 0.9.4.

> - Can command line arguments be parsed with the new system?

Yes, in principle. I have tested it before and it should work, but
haven't in a while. The following should work:

  parameters.parse(argc, argv);

Perhaps we need a way to strip prefixes when reading parameters to
make the following possible:

  krylov_solver.parse(argc, argv, "krylov_solver");

which would pick up options like

  -krylov_solver.relative_tolerance=1e-8

> - Extracting vector field from tensor field

Sounds good.

I've been meaning to look at the Function class logic but haven't had
time.

-- 
Anders

---

From: Martin Sandve Alnæs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:01:58 +0200

> A new release will also require new releases of UFC, Viper, FFC and

I recommend just using UFL 0.3 for this release.
The point in the UFL changelog are experimental,
not too well tested, and not covered by the rest of
the FEniCS framework anyway.

Martin

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:04:12 +0100

> the FEniCS framework anyway.

Does 0.3 include the propagation of restrictions at cell facets?

Garth

---

From: Johan Hake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 00:29:13 +0200

> of the Python version better.

The test in 

  sandbox/misc/python

seems to run just fine. It is easy to check command line parsing in python 
just copy the last line of the print out from this test, and change any 
parmeters to test options passing:

  python test_params.py --bar 200 --foo 1.5 --pc amg \
            --solver.max_iterations 50 --solver.prec ilu \
            --solver.relative_tolerance -1.0 --solver.tolerance 1e-16

Note the illegal setting of the relative_toleance

>   -krylov_solver.relative_tolerance=1e-8

You mean, only options with the prefix passed as the third parameters is 
parsed? Sounds like a nice feature!

> > - Extracting vector field from tensor field

Agree.

I will be offline for two weeks. 

Happy releasing!

I will comback in August, and be operational from the 10th.

Johan

Johan