Subject: [Ufl] [Question #173119]: Outputting a symbolic jacobian to a file

From: Colin McAuliffe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:10:57 -0000

New question #173119 on UFL:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ufl/+question/173119

Hello all,

As I understand it, dolfin uses ufl to set up and symbolically differentiate a weak form, which is then passed along to FFC. Instead, I would like to use ufl on its own to differentiate a weak form and output the results to a file in mathematical notation. Would setting up and differentiating the weak form be accomplished with the same commands used in dolfin?

Thanks
Colin

-- 
You received this question notification because you are a member of UFL
Team, which is an answer contact for UFL.

---

From: "Marie E. Rognes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 21:30:55 +0200

> As I understand it, dolfin uses ufl to set up and symbolically differentiate a weak form, which is then passed along to FFC. Instead, I would like to use ufl on its own to differentiate a weak form…

Pretty much with a few exceptions: basically replace FunctionSpace by 
FiniteElement and Function by Coefficient.

Take a look at

     http://fenicsproject.org/doc/ufl/1.0-beta2/ufl.html#ufl-package

and/or relevant UFL demos, for instance

     ufl/demo/PowAD.ufl

--
Marie