Subject: [Syfi-dev] syfi and swiginac 1.0

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 08:16:13 +0100

Hi list,

I have tried to compile syfi using ginac 1.4.1 and corresponding swiginac. It
did not work, which autoconf correctly reported. I proceed anyway, using the
new swiginac interface files for ex.i and typemaps.i.  I also used
--with-ginac-prefix=/my/ginac/prefix, but since it was not used during
compilation, I have no way of telling if my fixes are correct.

I can always roll back to an old ginac version, but I would prefer to have
syfi running with ginac 1.4. Am I missing something with the
--with-ginac-prefix, or is that option not used when configure give a
warning about the ginac version?

Ola

---

From: "Martin Sandve Alnæs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:42:19 +0100

> warning about the ginac version?

I don't think there's any intelligence in the configure script at all :)

It's probably only a matter of updating the swig files in SyFi, Kent
knows what's different. I think the most important is a namespace
thingy, all ginac classes must be prefixed with GiNaC:: in the .i
files in SyFi.

-- 
Martin

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:12:57 +0100

> thingy, all ginac classes must be prefixed with GiNaC:: in the .i

Thanks, I have a working version of SyFi for GiNaC 1.4.1 here now. So, I can
continue with what I was doing _before_ I ran into this problem :)

Ola
 
> -- 
> Martin
> _______________________________________________
> SyFi-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/syfi-dev

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:14:23 +0100

I'll have a look, but probably not before tonight. 

Kent

---

From: "Martin Sandve Alnæs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:28:43 +0100

> continue with what I was doing _before_ I ran into this problem :)

So, what do I have to do to update to ginac 1.4.1 and swiginac? Is the
swiginac repository assuming version 1.4 now? I don't want to update
quite yet, but it would be nice to do not too far in the future.

--
Martin

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:31:33 +0100

Here are the relevant files:
acinclude.m4
configure.ac

They will break the old ginac-config installations. I also have modified
versions of ex.i and typemaps.i. Tell me if you want them.

Ola

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:36:24 +0100

> Here are the relevant files:

I know :) 

> versions of ex.i and typemaps.i. Tell me if you want them.

I need them. I need to prefix ex with GiNaC::ex.

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 15:38:16 +0100

> versions of ex.i and typemaps.i. Tell me if you want them.

BTW, did you run bootstrap ? 

Kent

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:37:34 +0100

> quite yet, but it would be nice to do not too far in the future.

The latest release of swiginac is ginac-1.4, and the development branch of
swiginac as well. There are a lot of new stuff going on in the ex.i interface
file, as ginac has completely changed the type system. I believe I got it to
work, though, copying the ex.i file from swiginac and then modifying it. I'll
set up my private syfi repository at simula, so you can pull from it.

Ola

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:38:57 +0100

> > Here are the relevant files:

:)
 
> I need them. I need to prefix ex with GiNaC::ex. 

OK, here they are.

Ola

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:39:51 +0100

> BTW, did you run bootstrap ? 

No, I ran

aclocal
autoconf
automake

Ola

---

From: Kent-Andre Mardal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:28:00 +0100

> > I need them. I need to prefix ex with GiNaC::ex. 

Are the ex.i and typemap.i backward compatible ? 

Kent

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:31:49 +0100

> Are the ex.i and typemap.i backward compatible ? 

No. You could of course check ginac version, and if it is an early one, use
ginac-config and the old interface files, if the version is fairly new, use
pkgconfig and the old interface files, and if it is bleeding egde use
pkgconfig and the new interface files. It only depends on the ginac version.

Ola