Subject: [UFC-dev] local_dimension()

From: Mehdi Nikbakht <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:57:48 +0200

Hi,

I'm working on a problem with for which the local dimension can be
different for different cells. Currently, the function local_dimension
inside ufc::dof_map class doesn't accept an argument. Could it be
changed to accept a ufc::cell as an argument,

   virtual unsigned int local_dimension(const cell& c) const

?

  best wishes,
-- 
Mehdi

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:06:11 +0200

No, it is assumed that you have the same function space on each cell.
If you need to have different function spaces, you need one UFC for each
set of function spaces and then choose between the different function
spaces (different UFCs) during assembly.

/Anders

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:28:55 +0200

> spaces (different UFCs) during assembly.

This won't work because we're working with problems which involve a local
dimension which can vary from element to element and can change during a
simulation. Could cell be an argument for the next UFC release?

Garth

> _______________________________________________
> UFC-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/ufc-dev
>

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:38:21 +0200

I don't understand why it won't work. I assume you have a small set of 
different choices for the function space. So then you can have a small 
set of different ufc::dof_map's and you switch between them when you 
assemble.

/Anders

---

From: "Garth N. Wells" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:43:20 +0200

> set of different ufc::dof_map's and you switch between them when you 

They change as a simulation takes place. We don't know a priori what the
combinations will be, and we can have a lot of combinations.

Garth

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 22:49:12 +0200

I don't really understand how you mean, but sure let's put it on the 
list of candidate features for the next UFC.

/Anders