Subject: [UFC-dev] Suggestion for UFC extension

From: "Martin Sandve Alnæs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:17:55 +0100

I suggest adding the following functions to ufc::dof_map:

Needed to derive the size of tabulate_coordinates from a single dof_map object:

    // Return the geometric dimension of the coordinates this dof map provides
    virtual unsigned int geometric_dimension() const = 0

In the spirit of tabulate_facet_dofs, we can add these to provide
connectivity information:

    /// Return the number of dofs associated with each cell entity of
dimension dim
    virtual unsigned int num_entity_dofs(unsigned int dim) const = 0;

    /// Tabulate the local-to-local mapping from dofs associated with
entity i of dimension dim to cell dofs
    virtual void tabulate_entity_dofs(unsigned int* dofs,
                                      unsigned int dim, unsigned int
i) const = 0;

I suggest adding these and releasing UFC 1.1 before we release the UFC
paper, so we can include them there.

What say you?

--
Martin

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:11:55 +0100

> paper, so we can include them there.

Looks good, but let's not make the functions pure virtual for
backwards compatibility.

-- 
Anders