Subject: [UFC-dev] Error in UFC design?

From: "Martin Sandve Alnæs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:51:30 +0200

What's the value_rank of a mixed element? Vector-scalar can be seen as
a 4 element vector, but what about a tensor-vector-scalar element?

I guess unwrapping everything to a vector is the only solution, ie
value_rank == 1.

-- 
Martin

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:35:33 +0200

Scary subject of this thread... :-)

> I guess unwrapping everything to a vector is the only solution, ie

I haven't thought about this before, but that seems like the only 
solution to me. Should we say that the value rank of a mixed element is 
always 1?

/Anders

---

From: "Martin Sandve Alnæs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:32:08 +0200

> solution to me. Should we say that the value rank of a mixed element is

Problem: a tensor element must have rank 2, but it must also have subcomponents.

What about this:
"The value rank of a mixed element must be 1 if any of the subelements
have different value rank."

-- 
Martin

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:45:10 +0200

> have different value rank."

Sounds good (but --> "different value ranks").

Are you inserting this into the manual?

/Anders

---

From: "Martin Sandve Alnæs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:44:09 +0200

> Are you inserting this into the manual?

Ok.

Did you agree on my previous mail about blockwise local dof numbering
for subcomponents?

-- 
Martin

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:02:10 +0200

> Did you agree on my previous mail about blockwise local dof numbering

I haven't thought about that yet...

/Anders