Subject: [Unicorn-dev] installation and FEniCS Apps

From: "Andy Ray Terrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 11:41:25 +0200

Hello,

I was trying to install the code but I was wondering about how a few
things were suppose to work.  Right out of the box, it doesn't compile
with current dolfin-dev ... no surprise there.  I was wondering if
there was a stable release or changeset you recommend building
against.

Also to comply with the few guidelines we set up for developers could
you add INSTALL and AUTHORS files to the repository.

I would also make some suggestions for following the GNU LGPL license
such as adding the COPYING and COPYING.LESSER files with the GNU GPL
and GNU LGPL licenses in them, respectively.  They also suggest to add
a copyright to the top of each file with authors names.

-- Andy

---

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:09:38 +0200

> there was a stable release or changeset you recommend building

I remember I needed to use DOLFIN from January 22 2008 and then edit a
few files in Unicorn (removing some warnings/errors for unused
variables).

-- 
Anders

---

From: Johan Jansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:36:34 +0200

Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Unicorn-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/unicorn-dev
>   
Hi!

I assume you're testing 
http://www.fenics.org/pub/software/unicorn/v0.1/unicorn-0.1.0.tar.gz .

Take a look in the README file in the archive (it should be split into 
README and INSTALL to fit with the FEniCS-Apps specification as you 
say), there you have the dependencies:

    * ufc (1.0)
    * fiat (snapshot-2008-01-21)
    * ffc (snapshot-2008-01-21)
    * dolfin (snapshot-2008-01-21)
    * PETSc (2.3.3-p7)
    * scons

So you need to download the DOLFIN snapshot from 2008-01-21:

http://www.fenics.org/pub/software/dolfin/snapshot/dolfin-snapshot-2008-01-21.tar.gz

and configure against PETSc, something like this:

./configure.local --disable-pydolfin --enable-petsc 
--with-petsc-dir=/usr/lib/petscdir/2.3.2

Then you can compile Unicorn:

    * ./scons.local -j 2
    * source local.conf.bash

and you can test for example the FSI solver in ucsolver/fsi/bench2D.

I also had to add "-llapack" to dolfin.pc to avoid link errors with 
PETSc, I'm not sure if this is related to PETSc 2.3.2 (I don't have 
Ubuntu packages for PETSc 2.3.3). If I remember correctly there was a 
fix for this in DOLFIN later on.

As you say the issue ahead will be to keep DOLFIN and FEniCS-Apps 
synchronized, but I hope this will be easier now that we have several 
application projects that are developing against the DOLFIN interface.

  Johan

---

From: "Andy Ray Terrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:27:37 +0200

> http://www.fenics.org/pub/software/unicorn/v0.1/unicorn-0.1.0.tar.gz .

I was using the mercurial version but I can switch to the tarball.

> README and INSTALL to fit with the FEniCS-Apps specification as you say),
> there you have the dependencies:
>
>   * ufc (1.0)

Okay I was just grabbing some stable repos from around that time and
the ffc generated files are causing the problem.  There are quite a
few changesets that would qualify as a "snapshot-2008-01-21" at least
with dolfin.  I can try to pull from the repo's and find out which to
use.

> I also had to add "-llapack" to dolfin.pc to avoid link errors with PETSc,
> I'm not sure if this is related to PETSc 2.3.2 (I don't have Ubuntu packages
> for PETSc 2.3.3). If I remember correctly there was a fix for this in DOLFIN
> later on.
>

Yeah for now Kristian and I are just advertising which changesets we
build against.  The hope is to have people give some stable version
that we can build against and let each developer choose whether their
development versions compile with other fenics dev versions.

-- Andy

---

From: "Andy Ray Terrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:47:53 +0200

> with dolfin.  I can try to pull from the repo's and find out which to

Doh.  I see what you mean by snapshot-2008-01-21 in the software
repositories.  Sorry for the confusion.

-- Andy