Subject: Re: [Viper-dev] [FEniCS-users] IPython and viper interactive()

From: Anders Logg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:37:04 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 05:48:13PM -0600, Douglas Arnold wrote:
> The enhanced interactive Python shell, IPython, has lots of very
> helpful features, and seems very useful for working with dolfin.
> However, I am having intermittent troubles when using the
> viper interactive() command, as in
>
>   plot(u), interactive()
>
> This works (gives an interactive plot), but when I type "q" to end the
> interactivity, sometimes my IPython shell returns with the next prompt,
> as I believe it should, and sometimes it unceremoniously exists and I
> have lost all my work.   I have not been able to discern the pattern
> for when this happens.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on or have any suggestions?

I've seen this many times myself, and I also can't tell when exactly
it happens. I've filed a bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fenics-viper/+bug/484064

Hopefully Ola knows how to fix it.

I don't know what you are plotting, but note that when you are
plotting from Python, you can just call plot(u) on a solution multiple
times and the plot window will be updated continuously. Then insert a
call to interactive() just at the end.

--
Anders

---

From: Ola Skavhaug <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:07:04 +0100

> Hopefully Ola knows how to fix it.

Hi,

I have been aware of this behaviour for quite some time, and I wish
there was anything I could do to fix it. However, as the problem is
related to the Python-bindings of VTK, and I'm not involved in this, I
really don't know how to solve it. If I remember correctly, you need
to press 'q' in the correct window, which I think is the last one that
was opened (I might remember wrong here, so it could be the first
window opened as well).

I will approach the problem once more and see if there is anything I
have overlooked previously.

Ola

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAksCYLAACgkQTuwUCDsYZdH2vwCfbY8GQ87urma8xUwaSZHPBJPu
> 4eMAniuPWUvLikWW4JHCO+bqGRJic8am
> =z+05
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> _______________________________________________
> FEniCS-users mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://fenics.org/mailman/listinfo/fenics-users
>
>

-- 
Ola Skavhaug

---

From: Douglas Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:52:59 -0600

Thanks.  I will also try to be careful about where I type 'q' and see 
if I can avoid the problem that way.  -- Doug

On 11/18/2009 10:07 AM, Ola Skavhaug wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Anders Logg<[email-masked]>  wrote: